Mat/Tarp for Euipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Bar

Reaction score
When doing a beach or quarry dive, what do you use to place all your equipment on to keep grass, dirt, and sand off it?

One of those cheap blue tarps. I use it every time. It keeps the sand & grit to a minimum.

Every time I forget mine, it takes a couple of days to recover from the grit accumulation.

I use a section of that cheap outdoor carpet that looks like fake grass (or is supposed to).
:giggle:

I now have a small pickup truck with a cap and bedliner that I pretty much use just for diving (The Scubamobile). I do everything in the bed so nothing touches the ground.

Before that I would by a cheapie queen size bed sheet from Wal Mart for about $7. You can toss it in the laundry every other week or so, and throw it out when it gets too ratty.

Scott

I don't use anything - I like to do everything the hard way!

Besides.... if my gear is dirty, it gives me an excuse to "clean it off" on another dive.

I was considering a cheap shower curtain. It sure is big enough. It can get wet, dry quickly, easy to clean, and can have a cool design for a personal touch. I can fold it up and throw it in my bag or in the side pocket. Any thoughts on that?

2 Bar once bubbled...
I was considering a cheap shower curtain. It sure is big enough. It can get wet, dry quickly, easy to clean, and can have a cool design for a personal touch. I can fold it up and throw it in my bag or in the side pocket. Any thoughts on that?

Go to Loews, Home Depot, or Canadian Tire (if yer a Canuck) and get the plastic tarp they sell for about $5 for an 8' X 8' or sometimes bigger. It's got a weave thing happening which makes it quite strong. I've had to buy a few cuz Brian Wagner steals mine at Gilboa, but they're cheap.

JohnF

The cheap polypropylene tarp available at K-mart, Wal-mart etc is a good low cost option. Bring some rope or parachute cord and you can also string up an awning for a little shade during surface intervals. It ranks right up there with bailing wire, duct tape, velcro and nylon zip ties in terms of general usefulness.

Out door carpeting also has it's advantages though. It is more comfy on rocky ground with bare feet (and less likely to get chewed up by sharp rocks etc than a poly tarp) and less likely to blow away in the wind.

Being older, wiser and more concerned with comfort, I bring a carpet to lay on the ground, a tarp to rig overgead, a couple folding chairs and a 12 volt fridge to keep the post dive refreshments cool on the rare occasions when I shore dive.

2 Bar once bubbled...

I think I'd destroy one fairly quickly.

Back
Top Bottom