Diving near Portland, OR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
As fate would have it, business travels over the next year will take me away from the sunny warmth of Florida's Gulfcoast, to the chilled waters of the PNW. I will be there so much I am considering buying a loft in Portland's Pearl District, but that is another story.

What diving opportunities will I have up there? Any boat's for hire (private, not head) that could be recommended? Portland is what, about an hour's drive to the Pacific Coast?

I live across the Columbia River a litte east of Vancouver, Wa. I know there are dive spots on the Oregon Coast but I'm not familiar with them. Most usually head north to either Puget Sound or Hood Canal, which would be about a 2 1/2 drive from Portland. There are several dive boat operators working in the Sound, prices are about the same $60.00 for a two tank dive, which includes lunch. Tanks would be extra.

I have dived some of the Oregon spots and I would definately recommend taking the 2 1/2 hour drive up to the sound. Much better conditions and scenery. Also check out the forums at www.northwestdiver.com lots of friendly people there who would show you around.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

what kind of diving do you want to do... and when will you be here? :D
I will be there next later this month.

Type of diving....hmm. :D Love to shoot, but would be up for most any kind of dive (barring cave diving) if Captain does not want me shooting fish. Comfortable to depth down to 150 or so. Being a boat owner for the last 15 years I appreciate the work and expense involved, and try to be a good guest by being organized and prepared, providing all food/beverages, gas money, and clean-up.

Thanks for the replies.

Scott,

The reason behind most of the direction to drive North to Hood Canal or Puget Sound is because going to the Oregon Coast is a crap Shoot If you will be able to dive when you get there ;-0 things change in a hurry and the Hour drive could be all for not. Whereas going North you are always guaranteed to get a dive in no matter what is happening within reason. Being directly on the Oregon Coast wind kicks up pretty fast. I have a 19' ARIMA Dive boat and go to the Canal & Puget Sound on a fairly regular basis I’m not a dive Charter just a recreational diver that enjoys getting together with a few friends to take in a dive or 3….shoot me a PM and we will talk. :confused:

-SS

If your interested in doing any shore dives when you get here email me. your welcome to head out with me and my dive buddy. We go about weekly

airbrnebkr once bubbled...
If your interested in doing any shore dives when you get here email me. your welcome to head out with me and my dive buddy. We go about weekly

Doug,

Let me know as soon as you can how you & your Dive buddy are set up for the 20th at Hood Canal.

-SS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom