DIR and Drysuit socks/boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katsioulis

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
According to DIR diving approach

when buying a membrane drysuit

what are the Prons and Cons

if the drysuit comes with (a) boots or with (b) socks and rock boots?

Pros for integrated boots: You can't forget them, and they cannot separate from your suit.

Pros for rock boots: You can generally get a better sole and ankle support with a lace-up boot.

I have kicked a boot off in a cave; I will never use a sock/boot system again. Although I have kicked OUT of dry suit boots, they remain attached to the suit, and you don't have to go down in the silt to find them.

One of the pros for an integrated boot is that I use the same fins for my drysuit as I do for my wetsuit. On the rental drysuits with sock and rock boots, I had to use a much larger fin to accommodate the boot.

One of the cons of the integrated boot is I cannot completely turn the integrated boot inside out to air or to dry it like I'd prefer.

Lynne, you stopped wearing your Chuck Taylors?

Here is some more food for your thinking:

When I was new to dry suit life, I bought rock boots. This was not done with a great deal of thought. I pretty much thought it was the thing to do.

I wanted to get SP Jets, but my rock boots fell into the great AP Jet gap, that brilliant, 40-year old design that made one of the most common male foot sizes (in rock boots) a Jet no mans land--too big for one size, but too small for the next size up.

I bought Turtle fins instead.

In time, my thinking changed, and I now would prefer to have either integrated boots or simple wet boots in place of the rock boots. I will be making that decision before too long, as my rock boots are starting to show their age and will not last forever.

If I change my boot style, though, I will have to change my fins, too. If I had not gone with rock boots in the first place, I could have had SP jets. If I had not bought the rock boots in the first place, I would have fins that are fine for all my diving.

According to DIR diving approach

when buying a membrane drysuit

what are the Prons and Cons

if the drysuit comes with (a) boots or with (b) socks and rock boots?

I can't say I've ever seen an official DIR opinion from those-who-shall-be-obeyed. However since DIR thinking generally discards solutions for a land problem being applied to UW gear then I would think that rock boots would be out as they add unnecessary UW failure points because of a land problem.

Although I have kicked OUT of dry suit boots, ....

Fin keepers are your friend.

Thank you all for your replies.

One of the cons of the integrated boot is I cannot completely turn the integrated boot inside out to air

Does the integrated boots keep air inside?

Do you think that this can affect the control of your buoyancy? (eg Feet First Ascent?)

The drying properties of a suit don't tend to affect how it dives.

Sorry, I added an extra comment on my last post because it wasn't clear what I asked.

I am wondering if the free space inside the integrated boots can keep air and if this air can affect buoyancy.

I can't say I've ever seen an official DIR opinion from those-who-shall-be-obeyed. However since DIR thinking generally discards solutions for a land problem being applied to UW gear then I would think that rock boots would be out as they add unnecessary UW failure points because of a land problem.

Fin keepers are your friend.

Pretty sure that GI3 was specifically pro-turbosole and anti-rockboot.

Given that the majority of DIR divers being carted off to ERs in Ambulances in Seattle seem to have occurred due to slip-and-falls with doubles I'm not positive that I agree with dismissing this as merely a "land problem".

I do use turbosoles though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom