scubaboard dive buddy listings ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Falconer

Reaction score
I've noticed and experienced what seems to be a
big reason divers dont dive more often (besides money)
and that would be an available dive buddy. Yeah sure,
you can show up at the boat and be the schmuck who
needs a buddy and unless your a 34C you'll most often
get a luke warm reception at best. Even the dive shops
dont address this obstacle, they really stress the " keep
diving" part but don't provide regular opportunities to dive.
I'd like to suggest to Scubaboard a dive buddy listing
perhaps broken down into regions, I think the response
would be good, is there a suggestion box here ?

Kevin Falconer Fort Myers, FL

A computer is not the best place to find dive buddies - although I've done it . Most towns have a dive shop that have weekly "Fun Dives" or such, and this is a good place to meet other divers and see how they dive (and they see YOU, too). You have to purposefully meet people and write down their info. I always ask straight out, Would you like me to call you if I'm looking for a buddy?
I'm also starting a Scuba Group at my church, and I know of a guy who did this successfully at his work. If you really do dive a lot, you can't help but meet good divers and nice people who also would like to be called for a dive.

I bet if you post there, you'll get some responses! Watch out for the dude with the bigass pink bird on his head though....:wink:

One of my rules to live by........be cautious of anyone with a
bigass pink bird on their head !

There are several folks from the Ft. Myers area and more from the east coast on this board. Let us know when and where you'll be diving.

Rick Inman once bubbled...
A computer is not the best place to find dive buddies - although I've done it . Most towns have a dive shop that have weekly "Fun Dives" or such, and this is a good place to meet other divers and see how they dive (and they see YOU, too). You have to purposefully meet people and write down their info. I always ask straight out, Would you like me to call you if I'm looking for a buddy?

My experience is different ... I've met more divers through the Internet than I ever met at a dive shop (even the one I practically live at).

There are other ways ... most areas have dive clubs. While they can be a bit clicquish or political, they're also a great way to start your own circle of dive buddies. If you've the option of spending time at dive sites, then a bit of "schmoozing" with the locals will help you connect with other divers. When I first started diving I made up "business cards" with my contact info and gave them out when I met someone I thought I'd like to dive with.

Heck, I even made dive buddies at work simply by putting a diving scene on my computer as a screen saver, and underwater photos on my office wall ... if there are any other scuba divers in your work environment, it's a surefire way to find out who they are ... :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Falconer once bubbled...
I've noticed and experienced what seems to be a
big reason divers dont dive more often (besides money)
and that would be an available dive buddy. Yeah sure,
you can show up at the boat and be the schmuck who
needs a buddy and unless your a 34C you'll most often
get a luke warm reception at best. Even the dive shops
dont address this obstacle, they really stress the " keep
diving" part but don't provide regular opportunities to dive.
I'd like to suggest to Scubaboard a dive buddy listing
perhaps broken down into regions, I think the response
would be good, is there a suggestion box here ?

You can't find a buddy in Fla?????
I'm biting my tongue right now so I don't get moderated.

And I still have trouble getting dive buddies when I don't show up with one of my own! However, if you're diving on the east coast, let me know :)

I have never had a problem finding good dive buddies, both through SB and also at dive shops and dive sites.....

Could this be due to the fact that I am a 34C?

??????

It is amazing how much I am enlightened on a daily basis.:)

I think that all you have to do is advertise in the Travel section here and you will find someone. Or do what i did . I knew that I was going to be at Gilboa last month in the middle of the week and advertised myself on the Yahoo, Ohio divers Group. I ended up diving with two other people from Ohio that had odd days off and had a great time with good divers. As long as you are careful it should be no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom