Sharm El Sheikh Shark Attack - rumour control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowley

Master Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Okay this is information I have had confirmed by somebody who I trust completely. This person does not wish to be named, and I have been asked not to identify the people concerned so some of this might seem a little vague but to the best of my knowledge is true. I can say that the source of this information has more diving experience in the Red Sea than everybody else who has ever posted here combined!

Three Shark attacks occurred in three separate incidents at three separate locations in Sharm, spread over an area of about 10 km on 30 November to 1st December.

According to witnesses and the bite pattern of the first attack, an Oceanic white tip attacked a Russian lady snorkeller and during the attack she lost at least part of her arm and her foot.

The second attack occurred several hours later in the same general area but at a different location and a Russian lady snorkeller was seriously wounded.

The third attack occurred much later and due to the pattern of the wounds it is apparently clear that this attack was NOT by Longimanus, but the bite pattern fits the profile of a Mako.

Shark traps were set and indeed a Mako was caught and given that they are rare in the area, the bite radius and toothmarks on the victim suggest that the third attack was by this fish

An oceanic was also caught but it is smaller than described and the bite radius suggests that it is not the shark responsible for the attacks.

Normal business has resumed in Sharm; the beaches are open and the area north of Naama bay is operating as usual.

It is highly likely that the rogue shark is still in the area and has not been caught. Some dive centres are not visiting the area and only going to Ras Mohamed today. We are permitting snorkellers into the water but only after they have been fully briefed as to the risk. For the record, I do not agree with this. Divers are an unlikely target, and I am happy to agree.

As always, will keep people posted as I learn more. Any corrections are welcome but anything outside of this (8 victims 3 deaths whatever) is crap

Cheers

C.

This has appeared on Danish T.V about another incident yesterday at Ras Mo involving Danish nationals. Sounds like they were nearly bacon !!. Use google translate.
Danske dykkere angrebet af haj - TV 2 Nyhederne

Maybe this is the fourth incident which was disregarded in the other thread because the injuries was from coral..?

So I'm looking forward to my DM course in Sharm 20.12. - 9.1. :D

Maybe this is the fourth incident which was disregarded in the other thread because the injuries was from coral..?

BBC just reported the fourth "attack" as being from an oceanic white tip. However, I have no personal knowledge to confirm this.

The reported attack in the Danish article above never happened. A lady cut herself snorkelling on the coral and panicked. No shark was involved, neither was one spotted in the area. The media are killing us here.

Sadly today, a fourth attack happened, and a lady was killed - see my new post.

By the way Jan - nice to see you here!

Cheers "Sensei Master" (private joke)

Crowley

I heard an interview with the danish divers on the attack you say never happend crowley. They where diving with a local guide when a shark appeared. They panicly swam towards the reef but a Belgian lady was slower and the shark approached her and she got it away by kicking it with her feet and a camera. The shark followed them in the shallows on the reef and they got injurys on their legs from cutting themselves on it. Not the shark.

I do not know the truth, but why should they lie. They all saw the shark. ?

I heard an interview with the danish divers on the attack you say never happend crowley. They where diving with a local guide when a shark appeared. They panicly swam towards the reef but a Belgian lady was slower and the shark approached her and she got it away by kicking it with her feet and a camera. The shark followed them in the shallows on the reef and they got injurys on their legs from cutting themselves on it. Not the shark.

I do not know the truth, but why should they lie. They all saw the shark. ?

According to the interview(I speak the language:eyebrow:) that's what happend. The guy being interviewed was apparently one of the involved.
Btw they were snorkling not diving. Happend at Ras Mohammed.

It seems that irresponsible shark feeding activity, baiting in the sharks, encouraging inexperienced snorkelers to get in the water with C.Longimanus have finally resulted in a series of attacks and they are not the first either. These sharks are pelagics and opportunistic feeders, they will try anything as the open ocean is rather like a desert, there's not much out there and when there is something then its fair game. Now that these fish are used to snorkelers being in the water and with a scarcity of prey due to overfishing, they are going to get curious and approach the reefs and unfortunately attack swimmers and snorkelers. If you need more proof that people are being encouraged to snorkel with large predatory sharks just look on youtube. I think the Certifying Agencies (SSI, PADI, BSAC, NAUI) should be doing more to ensure that this sort of activity is not encouraged. As an analogy its kind of like letting tourists out of a Land Rover into a pack of lions in a Wildlife park.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom