trip report-promise sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LiteHedded

Contributor
Reaction score
you guys like the DIR trip reports so why not. :D

we headed back up to tally this weekend. a couple weeks back we went upstream at promise towards clearcut sink. this time we were interested in the downstream bit. we let GUE instructor and all around bad ass Mark Redmon tag along for this one. :p I'm the handsome one, for those keeping score at home.

156827_10150149289009937_787049936_8007070_456874_n.jpg

156674_10150149289204937_787049936_8007079_6044222_n.jpg

we got in at cream and scootered downstream past a couple more sinkholes to promise where we staged deco bottles on some caches AJ created then we were off. it drops deep pretty quickly. there's a pit that goes from 90 straight to about 150 or so and it slopes to an average of 200' give or take. i hit 213 as a max at one point on the ceiling.

we did a double stage with one tow scooter for the team that yours truly schlepped through the cave. we left backgas intact for this one.

the line is run terribly in this bit of the cave. at one point there are three lines that all go to the same damn place. it's interesting making sure you're on the one that leads back to your stage depots :p I think a trip to go back and clean up that mess is in order.

the line is tiny and pretty hard to keep track of while on the trigger. we lost it for a bit about halfway in. before I could signal aj he was already planted on a wall and redmon and I fanned out and found the line. the cave is just so massive and the line so tiny and black it will get away from you if you're not careful :wink:

162818_10150149289169937_787049936_8007076_6925300_n.jpg

a couple of crappy videos i took. this one will give you an idea of what conditions are like right now up north.

and this is because I was bored on deco and the still pics weren't coming out.

we did this one on 15/55 with two deco gases. Thanks again to the wakulla county dive club and a gracious landowner who lets us cut through his property in order to dive these sites.

Last edited:
Good report, glad you guys had some good diving.

BTW, Mark looks like Eric Bana.

actor-eric-bana-creating-carbon-neutral-motorsports-film.jpg

The bubble and picture isn't mine... but thought it was the funniest one..

oh crap, I'm in the wrong forum.

Cool. Do you guys usually use steel stages or just when you need a ton of O2?

just for the big dives. they suck too bad to use if you don't need that much gas. anything other than a cave dive and we wouldn't use them. the weight is nice at the end of a long one as well.

I want to see you tote those scooters up Church sink :D

aj tried to trick me into diving church for the longest time. no dice! im too old for that silliness

aj tried to trick me into diving church for the longest time. no dice! im too old for that silliness

LOL, I went there Saturday morning and thought the same thing. We need a good idea on how to make a cheap lift ( like skiers use ) to get up and down that damn hill.

if you guys talk forest wilson into speaking at a meeting I bet he could help you rig something up that might make things easier and safer

I bet your right.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom