Stowing back up lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I don't have a can light and I carry one backup style light for all dives. It is carried at the start of each dive clipped to my right D-ring and stuffed into an elastic band around the webbing. The elastic band is made from a mountain bike tube.

When I unclip and use the light I find it impossible to re-stow the light into the elastic band. Any advice, gear or technique to facilitate this?

I clip it off, turn it off, then just pull the band out with my hand and shove the light in there with my other hand. Is your band super tight? Cutting it a little thinner will make it easier to work with (but not too much!).

With a little practice, you can even do it one handed.

One thing I have found that impacts restowing the light quite heavily is how much gas you have in your wing. If you are attempting to restow on the surface and you have your wing heavily inflated, it can be quite difficult to get to the inner tube or to shove the light down along the harness.

I struggle too, but find that I can slide my "same side" thumb down the webbing and hook the inner tube band. I can then pull the band *way* out and slip the light into the band with my opposite hand.

Henrik

You can use a slide with a piece of bungee to hold em. Easier than the bands IMHO. Probably not DIR, but it's the same concept. Run the bungee under the slide same as you would with a D-ring.

With a little practice, you can even do it one handed.
You're a god. I can't even find the elastic keeper with one hand!

One thing I have found that impacts restowing the light quite heavily is how much gas you have in your wing. If you are attempting to restow on the surface and you have your wing heavily inflated, it can be quite difficult to get to the inner tube or to shove the light down along the harness.
I rarely have much gas in my wing when wearing a drysuit. Typically, I am horizontal and trying to re-stow the light before I get to the surface.

I struggle too, but find that I can slide my "same side" thumb down the webbing and hook the inner tube band. I can then pull the band *way* out and slip the light into the band with my opposite hand.

Henrik

I can't pull the band way out. Maybe its too wide. I had technical difficulties using 5mm bungee, the light just slipped through. I switched to bike tube cut into 3-4" lengths. Not stretchy enough, perhaps?

I can't pull the band way out. Maybe its too wide. I had technical difficulties using 5mm bungee, the light just slipped through. I switched to bike tube cut into 3-4" lengths. Not stretchy enough, perhaps?

If you're saying the band is 4" wide, I'd say cut it in half at least. Mine are between 1 and 2" and I can stow a backup light with one hand if needed. Reach up, hook two fingers in it, pull it out and use my thumb to guide the light into position.

My bands are about 3/8" wide. If you slide your hand down the webbing it should hook on your thumb to open it and restow.

I do it backwards.
I push the dog clip under the band and clip it to the D ring then roll the band down.

I cut my inner tubes to about 1/2", and I cut them a bit on the diagonal which gives you a tad more length. I also "pre-stretch the inner tube bands - i.e. when I secure the light when setting up my rig, I pull on the inner tube and give it a good stretch. That seems to soften them up a bit.

Of course that "pre stretch" also occasionally snaps a band :), so I make sure to install a couple of extras on each side.

Hope this helps,

Henrik

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom