Dives #51 and 52 at Point Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KLJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Neil and I went down to Point Lobos on Sunday 12/5. On our first dive we descended about midway out of Whaler's cove in the sand channel and we found a giant 15 foot anchor. It was in about 25 feet of water - haven't ever see it before. Lots of growth and creatures all around. About that time, I look over at Neil and he is being pawed at by a big seal. The seal seemed very curious about what Neil was and why he was there. The seal showed back up a couple more times during the dive. It was really cool.

On our second dive we descended between Middle Reef and Coal Chute Cove. Within 3 minutes of descending in about 25 feet of water - we saw a 6 foot long leopard shark. He was patrolling the area and did 2 large circles around us then settled on the floor. We had to stick around and watch him for a bit longer. Then we headed off towards Coal Chute Cove - haven't really explored over there very much, but it was really nice. Every time, I visit Lobos - I am amazed at how beautiful it is there. We are very lucky. :)

So thus concludes my first 50 (+2) dives. It has been great. Getting certified in late March 2010 was one of the best decision I have ever made. I have seen so many amazing things in addition to the leopard shark including a small red octopus who just wanted to hold hands, two giant mola mola on my first boat dive on the Escapade near East Pinnacles, 25-30 sea lions doing loops around us near BW wall, and a guitar fish also in Point Lobos. I have also been really appreciative of all the friends I have made as well as my amazing dive buddy and sweet boyfriend Neil.

We'll be traveling to Atlanta to visit my parents briefly over Christmas, but otherwise around and I would love to get in some dives at some new locations (so far all my dives have been BW, Lobos, and my one boat dive). If anyone wants to meet in Monterey and show me and Neil around - we'd sure love the opportunity to explore and visit with you.

Hope you all have nice holidays and great diving over the coming weeks.

-Katie

Congrats on the half-century! I've run into the anchor a few times, but cannot for the life of me navigate to it; we usually hit it by accident on the way back into the cove. You've seen WAY more than I have here in 50 dives, just imagine what the next 50 will bring? Whales perhaps?

Katie and Neil,

I didn't see you guys and I was there with Vassili, Ken and Andrew. We did two dives out on Middle reef and my partners saw the Leopard shark on both dives, I was un lucky, navigating up in the front kept me too busy looking around for critters... :(

Congrats on your milestone dives in the park...

Mike - You actually did see us. I just didn't say hi since it was raining. I was the girl who asked to clean her weight at the hose while you were washing your gear. Hope to chat next time. -Katie

Oh okay,

I remember your warm smile as you said hi, I would've recognized Neil since I have dove with him once at Break water and once in the pool during try GUE event.

Neil and I share a common experience, we were both attacked both by a vicious man eating Jelly fish, we both thankfully survived and we added it two our scuba stories. LOL

Tell him I said hello..

Once again happy to see you guys having so much fun together diving Monterey and Carmel...

Found the same anchor last weekend. I'd also never seen it before. It's impressively large!

Congrats on #50 and #51!

Congrats on completing your 50+ dives. Point Lobos is a great place to celebrate a 50th dive.

Back
Top Bottom