nitrox and trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlreid once bubbled...
what classes do you need to take to cert. using either of these.

You can learn nitrox from the usual suspects (PADI, NAUI, SSI etc etc). They all teach it.

For trimix I would personally look into something a little more technical. Take a peek at the websites from IANTD TDISDI or GUE to get an idea of what you would need to learn:

R..

nitrox is a simple class that you can take anytime after your OW cert. its not hard and some agencies (TDI for instance) don't require any dives with it. Even agencies like PADI and NAUI have started nitrox classes and endorse it for the average joe.

Trimix however is the top of the certification list. It's hard core tech diving. Its only taught by a handfull of agencies, none of which are anything close to recreational diving.As a prerequisit you'll need nitrox, advanced nitrox, decompression diving (sometimes combined with adv nitrox), or extended range diving, and most agencies require a number of extended range dives before you can take a trimix class. All of the instructors I know for trimix won't even consider you for a trimix class without at least 100 dives to extended depths with staged decompression.
The class also requires several dives (as many as 15) to various depths with different mixes.
trimix is also very equipment intensive requiring doubles and several stage bottles with regulators for decompression.

trimix is considered by most divers to be the Mt. Everest of diving, and should not be tried by new or unexperienced divers.
Its also big bucks between the training, the cert dives and all the gas fills. A trimix fill for one dive can be as much as $100 for a big set of doubles.

But I guess it would be nice to remember what I saw at 170'....:confused:

carlreid once bubbled...
Nitrox and Trimix ....what classes do you need to take to cert. using either of these.
Take a nitrox class as soon as you have a low enough air consumption rate that NDL starts limiting your dives rather than hoovering through your air. The nitrox class covers the decompression advantages, the serious disadvantage of increased risk of oxygen toxicity, and the practical usage things such as calculating your maximum operating depth and how to analzye a tank for O2%. Nitrox is a good gas for dives in the 70-120' range. Shallower than 60' or so, the advantages are minimal.

Traditionally, Trimix has been used for deep dives well in excess of the normal 130' recreational zone. If this is why you inquire about trimix training, then you need additional training, experience, and equipment to safely make deep decompression dives. The "Mt Everest" and "top of cert list" comments by NYRESQ are driven by the deep deco, not by the fact that you are breathing trimix.

Recently, GUE has launched a rec triox course that includes the use of 30% O2 and 30% He trimix at recreational depths in the 80-120' range. This course requires relatively little in the way of prerequisite, although there is some debate as to the necessity (or even usefulness) of trimix at these depth.

The dive shop here certifies his open water students with a Nitrox class (included with open water course) because he believes in nitrox and pre-banks 36 percent. It is a simple course.

Trimix does have different levels. IANTD has a normoxic tri-mix course which is basically a limited tri-mix cert. It doesn't have quite the same prereq.'s as have been mentioned but does require a fair amount of experience. The equipment is not cheap and nor are the fills. The fills and experience are why I have not looked too much farther into this course YET.

GUE and TDI have similar paths from what I understand. I don't talk much about them as I can't speak for organizations that don't have much in the way of representation where I live. I simply don't know that much about them.

GUE offers both a Rec Triox course and a Tech 1 course.

Rec Triox provides training in the recreational use of a 30/30 (30% 02/30% He/40% N2) Triox mixtures. It is a recreational
deep diving course. Proper ascents are taught but No-decompression limits (NDLs) are applied.

Tech 1 provides training in the use of normoxic trimix and the
use of a single deco stage.

Complete course outlines for GUE Recreational, Cave and Tech
courses can be found on GUE website at www.gue.com.

Marc Hall
march@gue.com
619-804-0647

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom