Diving in IBIZA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

malamut68

Reaction score
Hallo, we go to IBIZA-City for a wedding of a friend the end of Oktober.
Has anyone a recommendation on which "edge" of the island we should look for good places/shops? We have a car and all gear, so ´the matter of choice is solely the place not the shop.

THX Markus

PS We have 5mm-neoprene-equipment, is that enough?:frosty:

Ibiza! I'm jealous! :D

A 5 mm suit should be ok, but it should be a full suit with long sleeves and you will definitely want a hood and booties, too. The thermoclines, esp in October, come as quite a shocker!

Markus,

I am jealous too! I have not dived in Ibiza, as I was there a few years ago - pre diving lessons.

However what I can say about it, is that I really really enjoyed my short time there. I went with my now wife on a last minute holiday in May for a quiet week.

We stayed in San Antonio bay area, in a lovely hotel and I was remarkably impressed with the clarity of the water. Swimming in the bay you could see the fish swimming under you, even without Mask and Snorkels.

Furthermore, the food in Ibiza is wonderful, however I would strongly recommend avoiding the tourist food places and look for a cafe looking place full of spanish people. We found that in such places a meal for two and a bottle of wine was less than 20 Euros.

I cannot wait to go back and actually do some diving this time.

Could you let me know where you go and what the diving was like when you get back!

Cheers

Paul

Reviving this thread as its topical so someone may find a use in the archives.

I just come back from 2 weeks in Ibiza in which i completed 11 dives.

Water temperature was between 24c and 22c with a 5.5mm wetsuit sufficient for warmth this time of year.

Visibility was usually 15-25m, occasionally more. One day following a night time storm vis was 6-8m but that was a one off.

The main diving areas are around Formentera, Eivissa and Tagomaco and more sites mainly along the east coast/Sta Eularia area.

Depths are normally 25-35m.

Currents slight.

Diving was varied with a mix of walls, rocky reefs, drop offs and wrecks. There are several cave/cavern dives such as Cueva Cala Llonga.

Probably the pick of the wrecks is a sunken fish farm off Espardell island lying in 33m with some structure coming up to within 14m of the surface and its enourmous - easily 3 dives to explore it.

Be prepared to do some deco in the dives to get the most out of them.

As for where to stay, look at basing yourself on the south or east coasts (Not the Sant Antoni area) if you want to get to dive companies easily although the island is fairly small so only 30 mins in a car can take you across it. The area around Play de'n Bossa, Santa Eularia is probably the best bet.

That should give an outline. If anyone wants more details or specifics about the dives feel free to PM me.

Yoh! That was exactly the info I was looking for!!
THX! I will go to IBIZA next week, too and I will post here for instant if I come back.

all the best
Markus

;-0 Oh, yeah! Ibiza greetet us with storm and rain, but our temper havent suffered, cause the next day it should better!
Better it was, but worse was my wife´s headache, I thought: Tomorrow!
Better it was, but worse was my stomach after this ****hamburger!

In short: 20kg diving gear brought back and forth for a bit exercise on my arms:D

Oh well... You cant win 'em all.

You missed some good dives ;-0

Back
Top Bottom