Boycotting plastic bags and water bottles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Power Scuba

Supreme Benchwarmer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Join the Power Scuba Group in Boycotting Plastic Water Bottles and Bags!

Many times I've seen plastic bottles and bags right here in our own waters... and they don't bio-degrade. Overseas the problem is even worse.

There are ISLAND-SIZED floating heaps of trash in our oceans (filled mostly with plastics). Not only is this a horrendous sight, but it is a tremendous danger to sea creatures who either get tangled up in it or mistake it for food, ingest it, then die.

THIS IS MY PLEDGE: I pledge to avoid plastic water bottles if ANY other source of drinkable water is available... and plastic bags as well. I will use reusable containers to hold my water whenever possible. I will also try to avoid other plastic beverage containers as well... though this is a hard one since MUCH of the beverages available for sale are housed in plastic.

Water bottles are the main culprit... and why on earth are we paying for something that is free with just a little searching? Join me in Boycotting Plastic Water Bottles and Bags!

"Like" this idea here: Power Scuba (aka Scuba Diving in San Diego County ) (San Diego, CA) - Meetup

Bill
Power Scuba Group

I continue to strive to live up to this standard.

It's not easy. Plastic bottles are all around us and hard to avoid.

I renew my pledge and also promise to look for more alternatives.

Bill

This is a great pledge Bill and one that we can all join in with a modest amount of effort. Reusable drinking bottles (stainless steel are best) are not that hard to keep around.

We were in Hawaii in May and were glad to see the plastic bag ban there, as well as some of the California cities that are starting to adopt bans as well. It really is quite easy to get used to- just take one of those small fold-up bags with you to stores, or larger reusable bags with you to the grocery store etc. Also, most places will not bag your purchases if you ask- just ask up front because they are still programmed to bag everything. Most small purchases of two or three items can be carried without a bag.

We can make a difference if we try.

Plastic bags are a multi billion dollar business for China. The irony of it...they are banned in China.

I quite using plastic bags years ago. The reusable is not only a statement, but they work better. Three gallons of milk won't even break them. Try that with a plastic bag! Also you can get pretty ones, my gal likes her Paris grocery bags. Mine say save the earth. If I forget my bags in the car, I just have them load the grocery's back into the cart and put them in the bags when I get to the car. If they are not in my car then I put them in the car loose and deal with it when I get home. You only do that so many times before it becomes ingrained into your head to remember your bags. Typically there are 4 bags at any given time in my car.

Pay it forward. Buy someone inline a grocery bag. I have done it a couple of times now to mom's with their young children. Typically they say no, but both times it only took me saying pay it forward to someone else and they accepted my offer. Amazon.com has all kinds of cool grocery bags available. Make them gifts and stocking stuffers.

Don't forget something most of us probably use in the kitchen which is our garbage bags. They make bio-degradable ones for a reasonable price. The more people that use them the cheaper they will become.
Amazon.com: Pridegreen Biodegradable 13 Gallon White Draw String Trash Bags, 15-Count: Health & Personal Care

Try to do a good deed for the day. This means find some garbage, like a plastic spoon or something, and throw it away. If everyone did this just once a day, the world would be a cleaner place.

I use plastic water bottles pretty much every day. I can't stand stainless bottles for drinking out of. My favorite bottles are the Contigo's which I got from Costco, and we have around 10 bottles to fill when we go camping etc. With the Contigo's you simply push the button and drink! The water I drink is tap water...kind of. I put a reverse osmosis filter onto the kitchen sink. Mine is a zero waste so it pumps the unused water in the hot water pipe. Easy to install, and all the water I could ever want. I spent just under $200, so the ROI is pretty quick with how much water we drink vs buying bottled water.

My sig line has information on the garbage patch. Japan's earthquake added to it. I am still waiting for my yacht to arrive from there though.

Funny video :popcorn:
[youtubehq]GLgh9h2ePYw[/youtubehq]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom