PDA

View Full Version : Do you plan your dive trips at the start of the year?

CAPTAIN SINBAD
December 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM
As the year is coming to an end, I was wondering how many divers plan their dives/dive-trips in the beginning of the year and how many just wait until they feel it is time for another dive trip and then jump on the plane? :eyebrow:

ColoDale
December 10th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Trips are planned on short notice. Usually 2 to 8 weeks beforehand. Depends on prices.

oldnotdead
December 10th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Local dives depend on the length of the "list" (or if my daughter wants to go).
Fortunately our vacation plans take at least a year (We use vacation points). Also a plus, my wife loves tropical locations. I have plenty of time to research diving. My life seems "simpler" that way.OND

TSandM
December 10th, 2010, 01:54 PM
As we approach the first of the year, I already have a dive trip planned for February, another for the end of March, a choice of options in May, a liveaboard in June, and almost certainly a cave diving trip in November. I'm not sure how all this happened, but it did. A month ago, I was thinking we had no travel planned in 2011 at all.

Pullmyfinger
December 10th, 2010, 02:01 PM
We plan one for spring break, and maybe another one for summer. I usually put in for vacation in January, so I've got the days spoken for.

highdesert
December 10th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Our annual "across the world" trip is usually in November (works out for wife/buddy's job), and usually all booked by March. Plane flights are cheaper then. Or plane flights may be cheaper at the last minute, but then we might not be able to book the diving portion. And for some liveaboards, it's necessary to book a year or more in advance to get your dates. We have a February 2012 Raja Ampat trip booked already, actually months ago.

victor
December 10th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Long haul trips to a new detination in the tropics need to be planned well in advance to make sure it's not the wet season, get the best flights, find accomodation, etc.
Once we know a place then we can skip the long term planning.
Looking forward to start the planning for next years autumn vacation.

Insta-Gator
December 10th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Cayman already planned for June 2011. State-side dives are ad hoc.

TMHeimer
December 10th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Not really. If we go South for a month or 2 in winter (this year Myrtle Beach), I just look for a charter or 2 and try to shore dive as much as possible. My first actual (Caribe) dive trip will be next month to Panama (unless the floods/mudslide throws a wrench in my plans). Then when I'm in NY 2 months each summer I try to do a shore dive each week. But if my wife comes with me I don't dive as there is not enough room in the rented trailer for all that stuff.

nikos81
December 10th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I plan diving trips all year long no particular time of year. Provided I have enough vacation days from work of course and enough money to do it:D My trip to Red Sea was planned all the way back to August 2010, and booked at October for January 2011. I have an invitation to visit Spain on June,but it's not sure. I'll decide on March

diver 85
December 10th, 2010, 04:41 PM
both------sometimes need a quick run to Cozumel in between the others---just to get a little wet...

Jax
December 10th, 2010, 04:44 PM
We estimate our diving desires, and set aside money every month so every dive is paid for by the time it rolls around. So, yes, we plan ahead . . .

But we also set aside funds for those --- hey! Let's go! trips.

NWGratefulDiver
December 10th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Plans? For 2011 I'm planning ...

- another ADM trip to Vancouver Island "sometime in the spring" ... those don't need a lot of advance planning, since I take all my own gear and drive there

- Florida caves in May ... I'll be arranging airline tix and car rental sometime in Jan or Feb, most likely

- Channel Islands in June ... that'll be arranged in probably March

- Hopefully I'll finally make it to Mexico late in the year ... but it's way too early to worry about that yet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Downing
December 10th, 2010, 04:56 PM
My wife and I take at least one diving vacation every summer, usually around the middle of June when typically the weather here is just starting to warm up and dry out. I don't like to go anywhere in the winter because it means having to return to the wet and cold of the Pacific Northwest, and I'd rather just gut it out. July through September is by far the best time here weather-wise, so I'd rather hang out at home and enjoy it during that time.

I'm the planner in the family. My wife trusts me to pick places we'll both enjoy, and I like doing it. Dive magazines and advice from my LDS help a lot along with participating here on Scubaboard and surfing the world wide web.

Typically, I start planning for the next trip within a week or two of returning from the last trip. Often, I get ideas from where we went that summer. We started with Playa del Carmen/Cozumel because that's where everybody goes. Next was Belize because we were just so close when we were in Mexico. Hawaii and then the Florida Keys just sort of fell into our lap. Back to Belize because there was some unfinished business on the mainland before diving. PdC/Cozumel a couple of more times thrown in there since I can't seem to get enough of the cenotes. Next year it's southern Belize in hopes of diving with the Whale Sharks.

I'm guessing we'll head further south after that, but I probably won't know for sure until we do the Whale Shark thing.

Garrobo
December 10th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Since I try to fly south to the Upper Keys each month, I pick the moon phase which creates the least wind and wave action in the mornings. Seems like the middle of the month usually works out, down on Sunday and back on Wednesday. Also, I try to correlate this with Southwest Airlines' cheapest, online Fort Lauderdale flights and Payless car rental's cheapest prices.

jnorris
December 10th, 2010, 11:17 PM
We generally have one trip planned well in advance (usually in February), then play the rest of the year by ear. If something presents itself that looks interesting we'll go for it.

Dive Bug Bit Me
December 11th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I live from dive holiday to dive holiday. Rest of the time I am in the office. Leave is booked for week of 6th Feb and then 22 April next year already. Now where to go?

Oh, I am also planning an Ice Diving Course for early next year. Weekends don't get planned, just check with the mrs a few days in advance.

Also planning Adv Nitrox / Deco next year and speaking to a few instructors to see whose course looks to be the best fit.

AndrewA
December 11th, 2010, 01:22 AM
I plan larger group trips up to a year in advance. Dive holidays for myself are usually planned 4 -6 monthe in advance ( I am off to Grenada in April). Weekend trips in the regeon are planned about a month in advance (off to Jeddah in January).

Searcaigh
December 11th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Most of my trips are spur of the moment decisions and locally and to Oman that is never an issue. I plan to visit the Philippines again in 2011, most likely to Puerto Galera again, plus possibly a trip to Saudi Red Sea when I am next there on business.

SelkieDVM
December 11th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Long trips of a week or more I generally have to plan by October or November. Long weekends I can do more spur of the moment. I work as an independent contractor so my work schedule varies a great deal.

Token
December 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I'm only a couple of years into my current job, so I get only two weeks a year vacation...:(

Current plans are for Cozumel for a week in Feb. and then a week on Vancouver Island in June while my wife is on a business trip. So yeah, I plan ahead as much as I can.

In a year or two I hope to be able to steal away some long weekends on the BC coast...I can fly out there in the morning and be in the water that day...one or two more days in the water and then home without using up vacation days. These trips will be a little more ad hoc...

fab50diver
December 12th, 2010, 09:11 AM
This is our first year of OW certification so we have planned as we go this year. BUT, my DH's vacations are scheduled in late December for the year so we'll be doing more advanced planning in the future. Currently, we're looking at the dates for trips with our LDS and others with friends for 2011 although we have booked a trip for Feb. to Utila.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1