Do you plan your dive trips at the start of the year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As the year is coming to an end, I was wondering how many divers plan their dives/dive-trips in the beginning of the year and how many just wait until they feel it is time for another dive trip and then jump on the plane? :eyebrow:

Trips are planned on short notice. Usually 2 to 8 weeks beforehand. Depends on prices.

Local dives depend on the length of the "list" (or if my daughter wants to go).
Fortunately our vacation plans take at least a year (We use vacation points). Also a plus, my wife loves tropical locations. I have plenty of time to research diving. My life seems "simpler" that way.OND

As we approach the first of the year, I already have a dive trip planned for February, another for the end of March, a choice of options in May, a liveaboard in June, and almost certainly a cave diving trip in November. I'm not sure how all this happened, but it did. A month ago, I was thinking we had no travel planned in 2011 at all.

We plan one for spring break, and maybe another one for summer. I usually put in for vacation in January, so I've got the days spoken for.

Our annual "across the world" trip is usually in November (works out for wife/buddy's job), and usually all booked by March. Plane flights are cheaper then. Or plane flights may be cheaper at the last minute, but then we might not be able to book the diving portion. And for some liveaboards, it's necessary to book a year or more in advance to get your dates. We have a February 2012 Raja Ampat trip booked already, actually months ago.

Long haul trips to a new detination in the tropics need to be planned well in advance to make sure it's not the wet season, get the best flights, find accomodation, etc.
Once we know a place then we can skip the long term planning.
Looking forward to start the planning for next years autumn vacation.

Cayman already planned for June 2011. State-side dives are ad hoc.

Not really. If we go South for a month or 2 in winter (this year Myrtle Beach), I just look for a charter or 2 and try to shore dive as much as possible. My first actual (Caribe) dive trip will be next month to Panama (unless the floods/mudslide throws a wrench in my plans). Then when I'm in NY 2 months each summer I try to do a shore dive each week. But if my wife comes with me I don't dive as there is not enough room in the rented trailer for all that stuff.

I plan diving trips all year long no particular time of year. Provided I have enough vacation days from work of course and enough money to do it:D My trip to Red Sea was planned all the way back to August 2010, and booked at October for January 2011. I have an invitation to visit Spain on June,but it's not sure. I'll decide on March

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom