How to Learn about DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I am very interested in the notion of DIR. I consider myself a relatively advanced diver with over 400 dives, deep/wreck experience to 210 feet and 50+ decompression dives. My diving has all been on air.

I have been away from diving for about a decade but have started up again about a year ago. As I continue to dive I am getting certified on nitrox and will move on to trimix training as well (but no rebreathers in any foreseeable future). When I did my deepest diving "back in the day" these benefits were not available (although we did have setups to breathe 02 during shallow deco stops).

However, the DIR focus on basics such as dive planning, strict buddy etiquette, mastering of bouyancy, and standardized equipment placement is right along my line of thinking regarding basic dive mastery.

I want to learn more about this concept but am having trouble getting a cohesive overall picture from the numerous diverse threads. Part of why I am so interested is that all of my gear was stolen and I am going to have to replace it this year.

I would be interested in references so that I can learn the following:

1. The general principles of DIR. The "what is DIR" post was a very helpful info but are there books/websites or threads here that have more information? I see a lot of references to "Fundies" and "GUE." Forgive my newbie-ness, but what are these?

2. Getting trained in DIR principles regarding bouyancy (such as weighting/trim), dive planning, etc. I consider my buddy etiquette to be up to snuff since it is, basically, stay close, never let him or her our of your sight, and check in often with them.

3. Learning how DIR relates to modern computer diving. I was not trained on computers (certified in 1978) and see that they are revelation in terms of extending your dive time and giving credit for multiple depths, surface intervals, etc. Still, I would tend to the conservative. I don't know how DIR concepts apply to computer diving.

I am very good with tables since my whole diving career has been done with strict table-based dive planning (on air). However, I see some threads indicating that DIR goes beyond table diving and would like to know more about that.

4. Of special interest right now, learning the DIR view on types of BCs, regulators, computers, and other equipment, before I make my purchases. For example, is a back-inflate BC deemed essential as opposed to a jacket style? Just how rigid are the gear requirements to meet the DIR concept? Im not looking for particular brand recommendations, althought those would be welcome, but for the types of gear I should be researching.

Thanks in advance for helping me learn more about this very interesting development in diving philosophy.

Guy

Taking a GUE course is probably your best bet. They are DIR based, and something like Fundies will expose you to the basics of the DIR principles.
As far as PC's you'll see a lot of people that still work on tables unless they're doing multiple dives in a day.
They require backplates and wings, which is similar to back inflate I guess. They require the single piece harness, which I don't agree with for open water diving as they tend to be difficult to get out of in a timely fashion, however the concept is there and that is what is important. If you purchase gear, and plan on taking any GUE course, make SURE it follows their rather strict guidelines otherwise you'll be repurchasing gear.
I.e. buying a DiveRite Transpac instead of using a Hog Harness, you'll have to buy a new backplate. Buying a wing with bungees, they tend to frown on those. Simple stuff like that, you were on the right train of thought, but not their track type of thing.

The other option is to pay a DIR type instructor to give you some one on one pointers. You may want to combine this with your Nitrox course and they can help out that way with gear purchasing etc. Give Edd Sorenson at Cave Adventurers or Mike O'Leary and Dive Outpost a ring. They're phenominal instructors and good people. Any of the GUE instructors are going to be good, it's the nature of GUE, and if you find one that is associated with a shop if you're planning on buying new, they can help you there as well

This was different from the post I saw and VERY helpful. Thanks for the link. The link in the post to the GUE (mystery solved!) site was also very helpful and gets me well on the way to learnign what I want to know.

Also, thanks for not flaming my overlooking of that very excellent post.

Guy

Taking a GUE course is probably your best bet. They are DIR based, and something like Fundies will expose you to the basics of the DIR principles.
As far as PC's you'll see a lot of people that still work on tables unless they're doing multiple dives in a day.
They require backplates and wings, which is similar to back inflate I guess. They require the single piece harness, which I don't agree with for open water diving as they tend to be difficult to get out of in a timely fashion, however the concept is there and that is what is important. If you purchase gear, and plan on taking any GUE course, make SURE it follows their rather strict guidelines otherwise you'll be repurchasing gear.
I.e. buying a DiveRite Transpac instead of using a Hog Harness, you'll have to buy a new backplate. Buying a wing with bungees, they tend to frown on those. Simple stuff like that, you were on the right train of thought, but not their track type of thing.

The other option is to pay a DIR type instructor to give you some one on one pointers. You may want to combine this with your Nitrox course and they can help out that way with gear purchasing etc. Give Edd Sorenson at Cave Adventurers or Mike O'Leary and Dive Outpost a ring. They're phenominal instructors and good people. Any of the GUE instructors are going to be good, it's the nature of GUE, and if you find one that is associated with a shop if you're planning on buying new, they can help you there as well

Thanks, I have contacted GUE for instructors in the S.Fla/Fla Keys area. They have also PM'd me with some info.

Most of my diving will be with single tanks. If I did doubles I would just rent the appropriate plate/wing set-up. I did see a Dive Rite Transpac and liked the look of it quite a bit, especially its simple design and option to add things (weight pouches, pockets) only if you need them.

The forums are great!

I'd definitely recommend getting in touch with local people as the first step.

Since your most pressing question right now seems to be related to equipment, there's a book that is often recommended (I haven't read it):
Dress for Success | Global Underwater Explorers

you wont be able to use a transpac in any GUE courses. I would give an instructor a call if you had any questions about gear before making a big purchase. you can find plenty of them on the gue forums.

Thanks, I have contacted GUE for instructors in the S.Fla/Fla Keys area. They have also PM'd me with some info.

Most of my diving will be with single tanks. If I did doubles I would just rent the appropriate plate/wing set-up. I did see a Dive Rite Transpac and liked the look of it quite a bit, especially its simple design and option to add things (weight pouches, pockets) only if you need them.

The forums are great!

The DIR style of diving is very friendly to single tanks, doubles are not required. The Transpac has several features that make it non-dir compliant. If you're looking in that direction, there are very good backplate and wing systems available from a variety of manufacturers including DiveRite, Deep Sea Supply, Oxycheq and Halcyon to name but a few.

There are also lots of good threads in the archives here in the DIR forum about people who have taken the Fundies courses and related questions.

Hi John,

First, let me thank you for that excellent intro to DIR and also including the link to GUE.

Second, I am curious about what it is about the Transpac that makes it non-DIR as opposed to the others? Is it the shoulder buckles, or some other thing(s)?

There is a full-line Dive Rite dealer near me and I was going to pay a visit . .

Guy

Hi John,

First, let me thank you for that excellent intro to DIR and also including the link to GUE.

Second, I am curious about what it is about the Transpac that makes it non-DIR as opposed to the others? Is it the shoulder buckles, or some other thing(s)?

There is a full-line Dive Rite dealer near me and I was going to pay a visit . .

Guy

Big ones:
Fastex buckles, padding, loose straps, reliance on stitching/sewn connections to hold itself together, and the biggest one is that its quite floppy and the tanks can shift alot more than you'd think.

I had a transpac for a few yrs once. It dove ok for what I wanted at the time. I eventually sold it on ebay.

A plate with continuous webbing is much more stable and has essentially zero failure points.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom