Diver Death in Tacoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
This just in off the wire (taken from local news site):
Man presumed dead in diving accident
10:56 AM PDT on Sunday, September 7, 2003

From KING Staff and Wire Reports

TACOMA, Wash. - A 24-year old Seattle man is presumed dead in a diving accident in Tacoma's Commencement Bay.

The Pierce County Sheriff's Department says the victim went down Saturday night, but never surfaced.

Pierce County sheriff's deputies say the man was one of two students who went into the water with an instructor. They planned to go down 215 feet as part of a training course and each had enough air for five minutes, but only one of the two students came back to the surface.

"Unfortunately, at that depth you're only going to make it three to five minutes with oxygen so this is probably a recovery mission, we doubt we're going to find anyone alive," said Ed Troyer, Pierce County Sheriff's Dept.

The other student and the instructor made it to safety.

This will be interesting to get further details on as it makes no sense as currently reported.

You're right, it doesn't make a lot of sense. What course does a night dive to 215'? And the Sheriff who is quoted as the voice of authority refered to the diver's air as oxygen. Anxiously awaiting details...

.... information on this anyone?

Kayla:confused:

Rick Inman once bubbled...
You're right, it doesn't make a lot of sense. What course does a night dive to 215'? And the Sheriff who is quoted as the voice of authority refered to the diver's air as oxygen. Anxiously awaiting details...

A Tri-mix course of some nature. Just a guess mind you.

Details are about as clear as the vis with a huge summer bloom...so far it appears these were actually Commercial diver students/graduates??. Pieces still very much missing and as we all know, the media just gets it plain wrong for the first while anyhow...suspected bounce dive to 215 feet on air/OC scuba.

how does an instructor do a dive to 200+ feet with 2 students and then ascends allllllllll the way back up, with/without deco obligations??, and then finds out he/she is missing someone :confused:

we need way more information to even begin any speculation on what happened here

tragic tragic :(

Incredible.. It sounds like medias "first to report" type of story that throws out information as quickly as it can without ensuring accuracy.

I sincerely hope the family has some closure soon.

Actually I am not sure of all the details, but as I understand it, some of the divers in the group are known to have done risky dives before. And if the information I hear is correct 215 on plain air is risky. Beyond that I do not know any other details.

puget sound dives are dangerous. with the recent autumn downpours melting the remaining glaciers, the rivers spew sediment and dead stuff into the sound and it's cold, smells, and attracts sharks. I've known the victim for nearly a decade. Some years ago he was hiking at mt baker when an avalanche buried him, leaving only a glove for someone to spot and save him. he then found and dug his buddy out who was blue and unconcious becuase he fell face firts down the steep slope and got buried. true heroe. One of the most inspiring people I've ever known, anyone that knew him(many many peop) will tell you he was super kind. good luck on your journey Chad. =' |

Back
Top Bottom