I saw something odd at the quarry today.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay gang....help me out here. Maybe I've seen a training exercise I wasn't aware of before.

My buddy and I were minding our own business.....moseying around the quarry when we came upon a curious sight. In front of us were two divers, in doubles, HOLDING THEIR FINS in their arms.....bouncing up and down on the rock fall hill of sorts....kicking up silt in the process. We were at about 25 feet and these two guys....one in double 95's and the other in double 104's in wetsuits without redunant wings....smart move there.....were bouncing up the underwater hill in just their booties.

My buddy and I just looked at each other and scratched our heads.

Is this some sort exercise I'm not aware of????? I've done cave and I've done some wreck and I also know some DIR types and this isn't an exercise I've heard of before.

I may be ignorant, but it looked pretty stupid to me. :confused:

What you saw was testing for the new PADI open water non-swimmers certification. You simply put on as much weight as you can along with as much air (doubles prefered) and walk in. You keep walking till 1/3 of your air is gone then simply turn aound and follow your foot prints back. Simple navigation and no swimming required. It also eliminates all those nasty buoyancy problems. The advance cert does require a bit of rock climbing skills which is what you noticed. This new certification should open up SCUBA to a whole new world of previously untapped students. It's designed to appeal to the REI crowd. They are known big spenders on equipment and would add a tremendous market potential for new equipment and class revenue for the industry. GO PADI!

out a trampoline? Added some fun equipment for safety stops, merry-go-round, teeter totter, swings?

:wacko:

Lollllllll. Well they did have redundent air systems even if not buoyancy. Maybe they got tired of finning? Hey, the old bell helmet divers didn't use fins either. What's the problem?

Diver Lori once bubbled...
Ok

My buddy and I were minding our own business.....moseying around the quarry when we came upon a curious sight. In front of us were two divers, in doubles, HOLDING THEIR FINS in their arms.....bouncing up and down on the rock fall hill of sorts....kicking up silt in the process. We were at about 25 feet and these two guys....one in double 95's and the other in double 104's in wetsuits without redunant wings....smart move there.....were bouncing up the underwater hill in just their booties.

Luann doing zero gravity exercises?

JohnF

Diver Lori once bubbled...
In front of us were two divers, in doubles, HOLDING THEIR FINS in their arms.....bouncing up and down on the rock fall hill of sorts....

Is this some sort exercise I'm not aware of?????

I may be ignorant, but it looked pretty stupid to me. :confused:
Not everyone takes every minute of diving seriously (there's a reason I chose the goofy avatar :) ).

Maybe they were just having a bit of fun.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Not everyone takes every minute of diving seriously (there's a reason I chose the goofy avatar :) ).

Maybe they were just having a bit of fun.

If you don't take everyminute of your diving seriously then I am extremely glad I'm not your buddy. I have fun with my diving but it is serious. Besides, silting up a quarry might be your idea of fun but not everyone elses.

My bet is they were either trying out some moonwalking Armstrong style, or were two geeks that play too much MechWarrior.

Besides, what's the point of diving if you can't make it fun? Bummer about the silt, but if you're just going to watch the sea lions swim by, and not try and mimic their barrel rolls and loops and twists (ATX200 DOES breath slightly wet when inverted I've found out, and the sea lions think it's fun), what's the point. Diving's to be enjoyed.

Sheesh!

Lighten up! If you take things THAT seriously in diving, it's time to hang up your fins.. This is SUPPOSED to be FUN!

Lead_carrier once bubbled...

If you don't take everyminute of your diving seriously then I am extremely glad I'm not your buddy. I have fun with my diving but it is serious. Besides, silting up a quarry might be your idea of fun but not everyone elses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom