Breakwater 12/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Had an enjoyable dive today at breakwater.

Knee high waves on entry, no wind waves, pleasant on surface. I took advantage and did a long surface swim along the wall prior to descending at the gate near the end separating the people from the sea lions.

Viz varied from 10-25 ft. Schools of Blue rockfish present. Saw a group of 3 Mola Mola and spent some time with them. Several pairs and threesomes of large rubberlip and pile perch hanging out. 1 of them always had a darker hue and they sometime engaged in what i am guessing is courtship. I suspect the darker ones were males.

The longer than usual surface swim allowed for more time at the end of the jetty where the topography wasn't as interesting as I expected but had a group of sea lions overhead that put on a good show flying back and forth sometimes just a few feet from me. Very cool!:D

On the way back saw a large lingcod, and a couple cabezon. Kelp greenling are abundant. I seemed to see one every 10ft as I swam along. I observed that when they are startled and leave their resting place they always simply swim in a big circle to return to the exact same spot after you have passed by. Large school of opal eye just under the kelp canopy. Some blacksmiths mixed in as well as numerous juvi rockfish. Only saw a couple sea nettles.

Took video that I'll post a link to after I get around to editing it

weather and sea condition look to only get better over the weekend. I am going to try to get out again :)

-Ken L

What depth and heading did you find the mola molas
I've never seen any at breakwater?
Did you have to swim a ways from the wall?

Looking forward to seeing that video =]

Just followed the wall. The molas were near the furthest point that pedestrians can go out on the jetty where they hitt the fence across, they were right along the wall at the edge of the kelp where the bottom is about 35fsw and they where hanging around 15-20ft off the bottom. I saw them on my way out and again in the same area on my way back

ken L

That's amazing.
I've always hit my turn around before getting that far.
Guess I'll have to drop down a bit further. =]

Wow, that does it, I'm swimming further out. I've been dropping at 6 then swimming out.

I hung out with a mola mola at 40' directly above Metridium on Thursday.

waiting for the video....
i did some videos the saturday ; it sounds that mola mola were the big hollywood stars of the week end...

I saw two (or the same one twice) at 90' at the outer outer pinnacles on Saturday. Just amazing to see them swimming.
Breakwater was exceptional on Sunday., 20-30' viz. few students, saw a white lined dorid and Hopkins Rose's all over the reefs at Breakwater, almost couldn't find a rock without a Hopkins Rose or Hermissendra on it. Great diving this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom