Destin Jetties snorkel report + pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave C

Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully this doesn't bore everyone because it is about snorkeling rather than scuba. I spent the week of Thanksgiving in Destin. I wasn’t expecting to do any snorkeling at the jetties because low tide occurred in the morning or mid-day. However, on the first day I walked down to the finger jetty and was surprised to see the water looked fairly clear, despite the tide stage. I ended up going snorkeling on two afternoons about 3-4 hours after low tide. What was indeed surprising was that the visibility wasn’t that bad – about 20 ft., although the water was quite greenish. The Gulf was fairly rough both days so I couldn’t venture beyond the protection of the finger jetty. I was also surprised to find there were still a lot of tropical fish around. I have gone snorkeling at the jetties a couple of times before at Thanksgiving in previous years (on neap tide days), and most of the fish had moved out. This year, there were still numerous slippery dick wrasses buzzing around, cocoa damselfish were common, and there were many juvenile gray snappers. Other fish I can remember seeing included sergeant majors, sheepshead, surgeonfish, razorfish, molly miller blennies, and one black sea bass. I also saw some bluehead wrasses, which are extremely common in the Caribbean, but which I can only remember seeing in Destin once before. I only saw a few pinfish, which in the summer are most common fish at the jetties in shallow water. I previously thought these fish were adapted to cool water and would hang around all winter; I guess not. Blue crabs were also still around and fairly common. Supposedly, fishermen had been catching flounders by the “100’s” off the jetties the previous week, but I didn’t see any.

The water was cool; I'd guess a temp of about 68. I got chilly after about an hour with a full 2mm suit plus 3/8th hood.

I talked with a couple of locals to get their opinion at to why the water was relatively clear at low tide. One guy thought it was because there had been very little rain in the preceding weeks and so the bay water was salty and unusually clear. Another guy said the bay typically gets clear in the fall due to algae die-off. Whatever the reason for the clarity, on the days I went snorkeling this Thanksgiving, I think you could have a reasonably acceptable scuba dive. There didn’t seem to be any current on the couple of times I dove down to about 15 ft. off the end of the finger jetty. Ambient light got dim pretty fast, however.

I pretty much had the place all to myself. Very nice compared to summer:
5251636907_cb9a8be538_b.jpg

I only got one underwater shot worth posting. This sea anemone was unusual because it was prominently out in the open. Usually at the jetties, the anemones are hidden back in crevices.
5248490368_1e1be1093f_b.jpg

On a completely different subject, I went to Grand Cayman for a week after I was in Destin. I got a couple of decent triggerfish shots there:

Queen triggerfish
5248516602_fa2443f230_b.jpg

Gray triggerfish. This one is interesting because according to Humann's book, these are rare in the Caribbean. Also, when you compare this to the typical gray triggerfish you see off the FL panhandle, the colors are very exaggerated.
5247913503_0d68550e62_b.jpg

Dave - get over it, your reports rock. Keep on snorkin dude.

very nice

Definitely not boring :)
Love the anemone shot... what camera, settings etc?
Rick
Hopefully this doesn't bore everyone ...
I only got one underwater shot worth posting. This sea anemone was unusual because it was prominently out in the open. Usually at the jetties, the anemones are hidden back in crevices.
5248490368_1e1be1093f_b.jpg

B O R I N G! NOT

Originally I looked at this report on an iPhone. I saw where you said a Destin jetty report and then I saw the pictures of the Trigger Fish. I said, "Holy Smokes look at the Trigger fish, there is no way he saw those at the Destin jetty." It wasn't till later that I saw those were not jetty Trigger fish. Oh well, it got my attention!

The Thumb Jetty pic. brought back memories, as we snowbirded several winters in Destin. I dived their often--Feb./March--not many tropicals then. One night I read 47 F bottom temp. on my themometer. The Thumb Jetty was altered a lot after the 2 hurricanes 6-7 years ago. Nasty place for current at the jetty end, and those diurnal tides don't always conform to the tide tables! The Destin Bridge is an OK dive as well, and you can park right at the water. Thanks for the pics.

Definitely not boring :)
Love the anemone shot... what camera, settings etc?
Rick

Rick,
Thanks! This was taken with a Canon PowerShot A630 in a Canon waterproof case. The camera is about 3 and a half old and was a middle-of-road point & shoot when I purchased it. I used the camera's internal flash (I don't have a strobe), the ISO was set to 100 and shutter speed was 1/60. I had the camera set to Canon's AV mode, in which the camera chooses the shutter speed. 1/60 is the slowest speed that the pictures ever turn out any good.

I've put most of my decent Destin shots on flickr:
Destin Florida snorkeling - a set on Flickr

Great photos! We've snorkeled Destin, Panama City and St. Joe for years! We've even managed to find seahorses in St. Joe. Thanks for the report and the pics!

Rick,
Thanks! This was taken with a Canon PowerShot A630 in a Canon waterproof case. The camera is about 3 and a half old and was a middle-of-road point & shoot when I purchased it. I used the camera's internal flash (I don't have a strobe), the ISO was set to 100 and shutter speed was 1/60. I had the camera set to Canon's AV mode, in which the camera chooses the shutter speed. 1/60 is the slowest speed that the pictures ever turn out any good.

I've put most of my decent Destin shots on flickr:
Destin Florida snorkeling - a set on Flickr
Well, you're certainly getting superb quality out of that camera!
Good job!
Thanks for sharing.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom