Impulsive desire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

How is the 'Simply the best' trip in Feb/Match? What can one expect to see? My main interest in this trip is sharks, and longimanus primarily but I'll settle for silkies :D.

Am I better off holding out a little longer and going in May/June?

Cheers,

John

Thanks for the info. I've been down that way May/June time and got lots of action. Just wondering whether I can expect same if Feb or whether better off waiting til later...

Cheers,
J

Our SB mate Samaka has a wonderful website where you can get lots of info about different locations and weather condition in the redsea: WELCOME TO AZIAB
but in summary, May/June the air temp. is higher than Feb, the wind chill is much bearable and the sea conditions are most probably better...

I have been on regular trips to the brothers (organized by my group of diver friends) and we usually get there in July.

I have the impression that brothers is a guaranteed shark action if you choose the right time period... I was in elphinstone last week and nothing was spotted, just a silky far away in the blue :(
The word of all divers was that it seems all sharks have gathered up there in sharm !!!

Silkies are not as usual to encounter as Oceanics so you'd be more likely to have to "settle" for the latter. Winter is normally better chance to see both those species plus threshers around Brothers. Summer (June - July) is good for Hammerheads around Daedalus. It's been a while since I even heard about anything spectacularly interesting around Elfinstone... That silky in the distance sounds cool though.

Thank you Solly for the nice words about my website.

...a...

I usually refer to Samaka's website for this kind of info as it's excellent. But a while ago some of the links on the left menu stopped linking to the correct pages and the 'yearly cycle' page now routes to 'Marine Parks' so I've not been able to check it out.

Samaka, are you aware of this issue? If you need more info from me about it let me know.

In the meantime if someone could send me a direct link to that page that would be great.

Cheers,
John

Back
Top Bottom