Fish ID question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a fish ID book called
Coastal Fish Identification (CA to Alaska) by Paul Humann and Ned Deloach

After searching it a bit I think that fish is the Buffalo Sculpin. Enophrys bison
It's max size is recorded at 14.5 in, Depth 0-65ft.
It should be noted that scientifically, all fish lengths are recorded from snout to caudal, right before where the caudal flares into the fin.

Notable features:
- Wide head w/ short, steep snout and mouth that extends to mid-eye
- Long smooth spine extends from upper cheek with smaller spine below
- Lateral line high on back with large, raised scales; remainder of body unscaled

Description: Drab mottled and blotched shades of earthtone, often greenish gray to greenish or redish brown; fins usaally banded. Can change color or markings to blend with background.
Spinous and soft dorsal fins separated. Eyes often have a radiating star-like pattern.

Pic via Google ImagesBuffalo Sculpin

I'm jealous btw.
You seem to have a knack for finding all the good stuff there =[

Wow, I think g1138 nailed the fish ID, but out of the 150 or so dives I've done in Monterey, I have never ever seen anything like that!

Bull sculpin or buffalo sculpin. Statically a lot more likely to be
bull. My books are 1500 miles away, so I can't be sure which (and
it's a tough call anyway). In either event, a huge individual.

I see sub-inch-long bull sculpin juvies in the purple gravel in the
mouth of whaler's cove with some regularity. I've seen some 3-5
inch individuals on the deep shale. And one 6-7 inch in the mouth
of whalers.

Chuck

Boy!
Look at those teeth. Just waiting for something to swim by.

I think that was the beginnings of it's upper lip. xD
The pattern kinda throws me off too.
I don't think sculpins have prickly sharp teeth that show out of their mouths. :idk:

It looks like a predator though!

Ahh but that's how you survive in the animal kingdom when you're nice and chubby.
Sit in a corner, be quite, look scary. :eyebrow:
I think sculpins eat mostly inverts like worms and shrimp. So yes, predator is right =]

On another note, I'm really wondering how it tastes. xD

Yes, if you look closely you can see what what appear to be teeth are just part of the color pattern; his massive lips are just below that. g1138 is correct that sculpins don't have teeth. That's why a big cabezon sitting on eggs will ram you rather than try to bite.

We see those all over the place up here in Puget Sound, that's the first one I've heard about down Monterey way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom