Super newbee - having 2nd thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coquito

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I just started my OW training. Had my first class w/gear this weekend. Not a good experience. I had problems breathing through the regulator, and got "panicky" every time I went under water. I kept getting pressure on my chest and I could not breath. I suspect that is more mental than lack of skill. Took a while to get used to it (some how). Well, I even had nightmares that night about being in the water and breathing throught the regulator. I am starting to question if this is really for me, and I made a mistake by signing up for the classes.

Did anyone has felt like this at the beginning?

Do you have Claustrophobia by chance? I do and at first found it difficult to breathe through a regulator or snorkel for that matter. I always felt like there was a weight sitting on my chest. I would suggest working with a snorkel (even in a bathtub) and get used to breathing through it first. It is a mental thing and if I can overcome it you can too. Even now, when I dive I have to relax my brain when I feel that constriction in my chest. It's a conscious act, but it does work and then I have a great dive. That being said, don't do anything more than you are comfortable with. Take your time getting used to the equipment and how to use it. Be safe!

Oh boy...

Okay. First... it's perfectly normal to be worried about the class and to be uncomfortable with the idea of breathing in the water and all that. It's all new and different and that's enough to cause stress for many people. So don't feel like you're the Lone Ranger here.

That said, you need to be sure to let your instructor know that you aren't feeling real comfortable with the whole thing. He/She should be able to work with you to help you get more comfortable. Some things the two of you can try doing is working on breathing on your regulator out of the water or just standing up in the pool with your face in the water. You can even put your mask on and lay in the bathtub breathing through your snorkel to get used to the idea of breathing in the water.

Just make sure you talk with your instructor and be totally honest with him/her about your feelings. Unless you have a jerk for an instructor, they'll almost certainly take the extra time to help you. We're not mind readers, so if you don't speak up we might miss the signals that would otherwise let us know you needed our help.

Please please understand that it is absolutely okay for you to not feel comfortable yet and to ask for more help. That's what we're here for!

Don`t give up
Do give yourself time to relax - scuba is a little scary and it does take time to get totally relaxed

You said first time with gear - were you wearing a wet suit ?? .. was it very tight - it may have made it hard for you to breath properly.

Yep - I've seen this loads of times. Thats not to dumb down your experience but just to say it's very common.

Sure SCUBA ain't for everyone but stick with it and it'll get much better for you.

The feeling of panic is a mental reaction, but could be caused my physical factors. ( remember FEAR - False Expectations that Appear Real)

You need to be relaxed to dive well - hyperventilating will lead to a sensation of panic and that "can't get enough air feeling". Calm down and chill - just snorkel for a bit at first. That's what I get my students to do.

If your BCD is too tight it will constrict your chest and make breathing harder - also if your pool suit is too tight it will have the same effect - ask your instructor
On the surface , try, if you can, to let out a bit of air from the bcd. It should support you when it's only 1/2 - 3/4 inflated. Max it up and you will feel the pressure. Experiment - play around a bit.

Also try this one - get geared up - and just float on the surface - get confidence in the gear - breath through the reg on the surface and take as long as you like. Splash about - "learn to swim" again

When you are ready ( and YOU not the instructor) lie face down on the bottom ( in press up style). Do this in the most shallow water you can find. Be ready to spring up if you feel panicky - but you won't.
Lying like this takes the weight off your chest - you will begin to feel the effects of buoyancy and get comfy with the reg.

Now proceed to slightly deeper water and do this.

Have a few sessions in the pool before doing the skills - sure it may cost you more ( the pool time ain't free and your instructor needs to eat) but it'll be worth it.

Time invested now will be repaid many times over.

Please continue and do let me know how you got on.

Blue

Hello again...

Thank you guys, for the good replies. It is nice to know that I am not alone on this.

VaScubagirl, I did not think I have claustrophobia (until now). But the feeling you described is very close to what I felt. I did good with the snorkel. Even practiced some of the dives, and went to the bottom of the pool (12ft.)

The problem started once I went in with the gear. I do think is mental. I discussed my feelings w/the intructor. He was a little surprised and told me he never has anyone react like this (! - which did not help the situation), but he was nice about it and did spent time with me.

Blue and Learn-scuba, I am taking some pointers from you guys. My next class is tomorrow, and I am a little nervous. I'll let you knwo how it goes.

Thanks for the support. Love this site. It's good to know I am not such an alien for having a rocky start,:)

I guess I don't really have claustrophobia in that small spaces, but I do have trouble in crowds or if I feel like people are "sucking up my air" :wacko: I know...kind of wierd. Anyway, I feel that same feeling when I first go to dive. Like I can't get enough air in my lungs. But it is a mental thing, and once I relax, I'm fine. So good luck, and that instructor must not pay attention to his students (either that or has has had amazing luck) because from talking with other divers, this is a VERY common issue so you are definitely not alone. Post to let us know how your next class goes! :)

I have to agree with VaSCUBAGirl on this point... it's very common. I can't imagine why your instructor would think it unusual.

One other thought VASCUBAGirl reminds me of... when you feel like you're not getting enough air it is *ALL* mental. The regulator is feeding you air at a higher than normal pressure and is actually easier to breath than normal "breathing" unless you have an out of adjustment regulator. The feeling you are not getting enough air comes from not exhaling fully and has nothing to do with the amount of air you're actually getting. Make sure you take slow, full, deep breaths and make sure you exhale completely before you take the next breath.

Sometime nerves manifests themeselves by shallow / fast breathing - this means you are nnot eshaling enough so the CO2 starts to build up with starts to leave you feeling short of breath so you breath faster - but it doesn`t help becuase what you need to do is force a BIG exhale - this will get rid of the old air in your lungs and allow you to fill up with nice fresh O2 rich air - so try and think EXHALE

I`m a little miffed by your instuctor telling you he had never had anyone react like this before - for 2 reasons - it`s very common ! and even if one of my students comes up with a new concern - I would never say that - it just makes them feel bad !

Don`t be afraid to ask to try another instructor if you don`t feel comfortable with the one you have

remember ... exhaaaaaalllllleeee :0)

good luck .... once you crack this you`ll be fine

for many years, I was uncomfortable in the water and just wanted it to be over. But I am not very good at admitting defeat so I kept at it. I think having a buddy who I can really trust has helped, but just accumulating dives and experience has finally got me hooked to the point that I can't wait to get in the water.

Keep at it, the more you do the more confident you'll become.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom