a question of DIR definition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaliban

Reaction score
I'm brand new to diving (about 6-8 non-logged dives, and most recently a naui ow cert) and have done a fair amount of research as I've purchased most of my equipment and embarked on what promises to be a life-long journay of increasing complexity and enjoyment. I've been striving to get the best equipment I can afford that will allow me safe and fun diving now and that will, wherever possible, grow with me as I advance and my interests develop, so that I don't need to replace equipment just to move up to doubles, for instance.

In researching bc's I became exposed to this board, bp/wing, and DIR pretty much simultaneously. I'm increasingly interested in DIR/GUE and I expect that eventually (probably within the next year or so) I'll want to take a dir-f class, at least to check it out; it has already influenced me in some of my decisions, so I'm interested to learn more.

One question I have is as far as the DIR/GUE philosophy goes, does it specify types of configurations, or does it also limit its specifications by brand of manufacture? For instance, does DIR reccomend using a bp/wing configuration with certain restrictions, such as 'no bondage wings', or is it more specific such as, if you'r not diving a halcyon bp/wing setup then you're technically not diving DIR.

A second question; Does DIR/GUE stipulate a bp weight of ~6lbs, or would it accomodate a thicker plate?

My questions are for two reasons. First, I'm interested to learn more so that I have a better grasp of the vocabulary and general state of things and so I can speak more correctly to others, etc., and secondly, I'm considering going with a thicker bp to help offset the weight requirements of the cold puget sound waters, with an oxycheq wing and standard hogarthian harness. Would such a configuration be welcome in a dir-f class, or would they stipulate that I purchase a ~6lb back plate and a halcyon wing in order to join in all the reindeer games?

Thanks,

-k

kaliban once bubbled...
I'm brand new to diving (about 6-8 non-logged dives, and most recently a naui ow cert) and have done a fair amount of research as I've purchased most of my equipment and embarked on what promises to be a life-long journay of increasing complexity and enjoyment. I've been striving to get the best equipment I can afford that will allow me safe and fun diving now and that will, wherever possible, grow with me as I advance and my interests develop, so that I don't need to replace equipment just to move up to doubles, for instance.

In researching bc's I became exposed to this board, bp/wing, and DIR pretty much simultaneously. I'm increasingly interested in DIR/GUE and I expect that eventually (probably within the next year or so) I'll want to take a dir-f class, at least to check it out; it has already influenced me in some of my decisions, so I'm interested to learn more.

One question I have is as far as the DIR/GUE philosophy goes, does it specify types of configurations, or does it also limit its specifications by brand of manufacture? For instance, does DIR reccomend using a bp/wing configuration with certain restrictions, such as 'no bondage wings', or is it more specific such as, if you'r not diving a halcyon bp/wing setup then you're technically not diving DIR.

No manufacturer is specified.

kaliban once bubbled...
A second question; Does DIR/GUE stipulate a bp weight of ~6lbs, or would it accomodate a thicker plate?

Lighter, heavier, whatever it takes. Some people need to go to aluminum, some wear custom heavier plates, some wear two stacked plates.

M
kaliban once bubbled...
y questions are for two reasons. First, I'm interested to learn more so that I have a better grasp of the vocabulary and general state of things and so I can speak more correctly to others, etc., and secondly, I'm considering going with a thicker bp to help offset the weight requirements of the cold puget sound waters, with an oxycheq wing and standard hogarthian harness. Would such a configuration be welcome in a dir-f class, or would they stipulate that I purchase a ~6lb back plate and a halcyon wing in order to join in all the reindeer games?.

I know a couple of people who have gone through the course without a single piece of Halcyon or Extreme Exposure gear.

Getting a copy of the Doiing It Right book will clear up quite a bit of this for you.

I'm not the greatest expert here, but I'll gve you what my take is.

If you read JJ's book, he avoids mentioning any brands specifically and talks about features. You do not need to dive Halcyon to dive DIR.

The only issue with >6lb plates is if you intend to use the plate for doubles, you can end up over weighted with nothing ditchable. I personally dive a FredT 8lb plate for singles and a 6lb Halcyon plate for doubles.

There are other ways to get weight off your waist than going with a heavy plate. Weighted STA's and P-Weights.

DeepScuba once bubbled...
Kaliban, search in this Site for "Tom R", he's your man.

Do you happen to have any specific posts in mind, Deep? A search on Tom R yields over a hundred results. Many of the messages are 15 plus pages of posts, and you have to manually search through each page to eventually find a comment by Tom R.

Thanks,

-k

Hahhah

OK "PM" him for more info.

He'll take it from there. He's your GUE guy. (One of them)

I think the WWW is northerntechdiver.com

Hi
Just check out the Ontario fresh water freaks board ,he is on it often and so are some other guys who might be able to help
like kevin Ripley and Dan Mackay, MHK,just to name a few. They are very knowledgeable .
:)

...if you don't mind seeing individual posts taken out of context, when searching for the posts by a particular user, you can select whether to view the entire threads or the individual posts.

Yes, Tom R has lots of posts. He frequently posts a "Guess the wreck" post with picture attached in the Ontario Fresh Water Freaks forum. His dive shop is Northern Tech Diver. His shop teaches DIR and is a member of GUE so I'm sure he could answer all you questions, and then some.

In fact on his site www.northerntechdiver.com he's offering the DIR Fundamentals Manual along the right hand margin under "Specials"........

(no I don't work for the shop although I've haunted it a few times)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom