the spiegel grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigtim6656

Reaction score
KEY LARGO florida diving capital of the world
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok my dad and I have 29 dives, 5 ocean dives(owcert) one was a small wreck in ft lauderdale. Then we did about 10 quarry dives in dark cold waters in indiana:(

We did our AOW this sept/oct up here with wreck, search, and beak for our optional dives. We did a 85 foot 45 degree water dive at mermet in IL, and some more dark cold quarry dives. :shakehead:

So we are moving to key largo and tired of the cold, dark, indiana water where a reef is a stolen cash register(found one):idk: and a wreck is a school bus

I am planning on paying for us to do our wreck and nitrox in feb, but my dad wants to do a reef dive or two then go on the spiegel. IS the spiegel a dive we need our wreck or deep cert(s)? Not looking to penetrate and would likely take a guide with us.

I would suggest AOW (seems you have it) for diving SG.

Currents can be a bit more significant than the quarry you are used to. It should be warmer water temp and better visibility however.

IS the spiegel a dive we need our wreck or deep cert(s)? Not looking to penetrate and would likely take a guide with us.

Wreck or Deep Certs are not required to dive the Grove. Most ops prefer AOW because of the depth though.

Not really deep enough to require Deep (unless you are planning on making a sand castle) and no penetration to require Wreck Diver certs.

as the previous poster said, the current can be stiff. But they often settle down as you get in the shadow of the wreck. (and you only feel the real strength of the current going up/down the line).

If you're cautious, just hire a dive master for the day as a guide.

I am planning on paying for us to do our wreck and nitrox in feb, but my dad wants to do a reef dive or two then go on the spiegel.

Lots of great reefs in the area. nothing with doing that on day 1 and the Grove on day 2 for example.

However, note that most of the trips to the Grove are not 2 tanks on the Speigal Grove. They are typically one dive on the wreck and then a 2nd dive on a shallower site such as Molasses Reef or the wreck of the Benwood (which is covered in coral). . So you'll most likely do a reef dive regardless.

The Spiegel can be deep and can have current. I think the superstructure starts around 70', and I've done whole dives at that depth. If you hook into the rear buoys you'll probably end up deeper, perhaps 100' or so. I was on a boat once with a woman who went down to the sand for some reason (130'ish) and her buddy ran out of air instantly. I'd recommend not doing that.

Most operators will require you to have AOW, but nothing further. Taking a guide is a fine idea.

thanks guys, I am sure we will see current, better vis, and much warmer waters, the warmest we dove local was 58ish(at depth) and coldest at 45(85feet). No need to make a sand castle, I can do that on the beach, being a big guy i get 25 minutes out of my 80 on a shallow dive. I would guess I would get one tower of my sand castle built. LOL

WE have AOW so sounds like we are all good to go.

being a big guy i get 25 minutes out of my 80 on a shallow dive. I would guess I would get one tower of my sand castle built. LOL

Since you're doing Nitrox certs and can extend your NDL, when you make your reservation for rental tanks, ask for some HP100's. They are the same size as AL80's (just about) and hold 25% gas. (meaning you can stay down longer).

I mean you're traveling 1,000 miles to dive the keys, might as well get the most out of it. so it'll be a few extra bucks that is 'money well spent'

(you'll need to tell then if you need Yoke or DIN though so they can match your valve type required. (or have a convertible valve)).

You're going to love diving the Keys!

I took my son there for his first dive trip after he got his OW cert in college a couple of years ago. We stayed in Key Largo and dived with Conch Republic. The Keys are ideal for a first dive trip as most dives are shallow with little current so it's easy to stay out of trouble and refine your skills.

We did the Spiegel on our third or fourth day. CR required we use a guide since my son was newly certified, which was fine by me since that meant I had an extra pair of eyes on him If he had had an AOW cert or more dives under his belt I don't think it would have been required but since it was our first time and we wanted to penetrate it I would have wanted a guide anyway.

As others have said, the current was ripping on the line but not bad once you reach the wreck. Other than that, it's not a challenging dive but it's definitely an enjoyable one.

Have fun!

+1 on the hP100's. I did 2 back-to-back dives on the SG last summer and the 100's were definitely the ticket. If you are only getting 25 minutes on 80's at shallow depth, then imagine getting into a current at that depth - you are gonna need the extra gas.

Great dive - we were swarmed by a pod of spotted dolphins on our safety stop.

Enjoy!

And +1 vote for Conch Republic. I have gone out with them numerous times and been really pleased every time.

I dove Spiegel Grove with 3 operators (one was complete private charter so it was different).

SG is good as you can do 4 dives that day on it (AM and PM trip) and dive different levels. You can start with the deepest and go progressively shallower on the next dives. I never used the guide but I did get me a dive slate for SG and was $11 well spent.

In either case, do pay attention on where your boat is tied off. (Which ball.) When you get to the bottom of that ball line, make a mental note. Spend a minute swimming around it to see where it is tied off on the wreck from different angles and make a mental note.

SG is so big that you can do several dives and focus on a smaller parts of it and still have plenty of things to see left after half a dozen (or more) dives. Do not try to see whole wreck in one dive as you will miss all of it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom