Fed up in Sharm El Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowley

Master Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well folks, if you're getting bored of my thousands of posts then please feel free to look away now, because I am posting because I myself am very bored indeed.

I went to work this morning to find that my one diver (yes, we were going to run a whole boat for one person) has canceled because she is sick. Our other boat which is off to Ras Mohamed today has all of three people on board. There are no courses, even though we are allowed to conduct them now. In fact, we have more staff working than guests.

Okay it is Saturday, which is always slower because the weekends are the main turnaround for tourists but I asked our office last night how the situation is looking for next week and I was told "slightly worse than this week" - and next week should herald the arrival of the christmas rush. The other big centres here are in a similar state and the smaller centres must be pooping themselves at the moment.

One galling aspect of today is that one of my colleagues, fresh out of his IDC, was looking very much to conducting his first official course as an instructor - a refresher course for two Swedish divers. They came into the centre this morning and cancelled. Why? Because last night during a conversation over dinner, two other tourists fed them some shark stories and they are now too frightened to get into the water. Despite reassurances from the staff, they have decided to spend their holiday relaxing on the beach and paddling in the shallow water that is available to them.

This, it would seem, is not an isolated incident, and predictions of a drop in tourism seem to be proven accurate. Time will tell and I am certain we will recover, but not before a bucket load of staff have to pack up and leave. Two of my colleagues have already handed in their towels and will be taking off to pastures greener (or beaches whiter, if you prefer) and I am sure they will not be the last. Another has been forced out because he can't afford the lack of work.

Worst of all, yesterday I was diving at Ras Katy and Ras Umm El Sid - two of only three sites (the third being Temple) available to the inexperienced divers in the "local" dive sites because we must only make mooring dives. At Ras Katy, I saw two of the glass-bottomed submarines feeding the fish. Sadly we did not capture them on video because as soon as they saw us looking the staff ran and hid their faces. We saw snorkellers off the reef plate at both Katy and Umm Sid. The police did put in an appearance, did nothing, and disappeared.

Whilst I have congratulated the authorities in their handling of the recent tragedy (with, admittedly, some serious mistakes), this is exactly what I didn't want to see and was hoping I would be wrong. I would have thought it not in the interests of the boat crews to do this in the wake of such an outcry here, because surely the authorities would like to make an example of them and show the world media that they are clamping down on illegal activities and enforcing the current regulations.

They are not.

Guides at the Jetty are required now to sign a piece of paper, written in Arabic, which most of us can't read (sorry, I am too busy learning German) which states that we will abide by all the minimum dive rules and bring our guests back with the same number of limbs that they left with and we could technically be imprisoned for violating those rules. The problem is, the jetty police really have no idea who is capable of going where and furthermore, we have a blanket 4pm curfew at the moment. If we bring the boat back any later, our licenses and the licenses of the boat crew will be revoked and there is the threat of arrest.

No work, no money, and no idea what's going to happen next. Apologies if this sounds a bit maudlin but at the moment, this is life in Sharm El Sheikh. To all prospective visitors - please come back!!

Time for another Sakara,

Peace,

C.

...the problem is, even when the hysteria dies away, that % of the diver population who likes big critter action won't come back anyway, losing interest in diving in overfished (and all sharks exterminated) waters. I'm just waiting for some corrupt Egyptian bureaucrat to invite the Asian shark finning industry to set up shop in the area to clear up the shark 'problem'.....

Crowley,
Sorry to hear about the hard times but you really can't blame the tourist. Hell you got hundreds of dives there and you cancelled a dive because OWT's were in the area. The local officials are going to do nothing, it is up to the local dive shops to put an end to the feeding. If one more tourist gets malled, it is over, done,kaput. No one will travel there for diving.

how did the dive centres suddenly become responsible for the tourists feeding the fish? they outnumber us 9:1... we try our best and nothing is done! We didn't feed the fish, we didn't dump sheep overboard.

I blame the tourists, and the divers, and the authorities... collectively. Did you dive here recently?

C.

Sitting here freezing my b*tt off, staring at 7cm of snow that fell in just 2 hours this afternoon, I very much want to jump on the first plane over and get in the water to bring you guys some business. Unfortunately the earliest I will be there is 24th March and hope to hell some of you guys are still there by the time I arrive with some bundles of cash.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all over there that there, and hope there are no more incidents so that some sense of normality, and tourists will return.

Your region is way out of my travel zone. I would think for people who do travel there that now would be tempting. Surely there will be great package deals to be had from desperate dive op.s, and odds should be good for diving popular areas without running into other groups (don't know whether that's ever a concern there or not).

As far as a shark nailing somebody, the odds are extremely low for a given individual. Sure, the fear is human nature, but I can dream up lots of things to be afraid of. In the Caribbean, maybe some moray used to being fed by dive guides will swim out & grab my leg. Maybe a barracuda will be tempted by a metallic-looking piece of gear and nail me. Perhaps if I swim near the bottom a startled scorpion fish will bolt for safety, run into me, sting me and I'll thrash in agony, spit out my reg. and drown or something. Or more likely, must a dark narc. episode, freak out and end up drowning.

Surely some divers will take advantage. Do you see a lot of desperation sales from local operators?

Richard.

Sounds like typical third world ineptness (that happens in developed places as well).

Crowley, you should go out on one of the fish feeding glass boats and take pictures while they feed the fish. Then drop the video off at the port :).

I'm headed for Dahab and then Sharm next week and hope to do a bunch of dives.
Well, you can't blame the average tourist for not wanting to be in the water. Obviously people fear for their lives and most are not very knowledgeable about sharks in general and think the worst.

I sympathize with your situation but I think the media is not helping your cause by sensationalizing everything.

When the gulf rig exploded the media did there best to kill the diving/fishing biz in the Keys. Hope all turns well.

By the way not one whiff of oil hit the Keys!

Back
Top Bottom