New to DSLR with a question about lenses and ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've been saving for a new system and have decided on a Nikon D700 and Ikelite housing. I've been shooting P&S cameras for the past seven years and want to start with a full frame model rather than trade up later.
I've picked out the D700 with Ikelite housing, Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Wide Angle Zoom Lens with Ikelite Dome Port 5503.80, Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Macro Autofocus Lens with Ikelite Flat Port 5502.41 and two SubStrobe DS-160s. Is there anything wrong with these choices or would you recommend anything else?

I would be suggesting the 105mm VR macro over the 60mm Especially with the FX format D700.

If going with Ikelite ports I also suggest that you go the modular setup. You can chop and change your extension rings to support other lenses down the track.

Regards Mark

I was thinking of the 60mm because I rarely dive in water with more than a few meters vis, usually less than two. I wanted to leave as little water between the lens and subject as possible.

Sounds like diving in Dubai :D

I would support your choice for the 60mm Micro for exactly the same rationale.

I would also recommend that you look at fitting a manual focus ring, which is mandatory for the 105 should you ever purchase that lens

You also have to take into account that the D700 is a FX camera which doesnt have the 1.5x crop factor which DX cameras have.

105mm on a FX camera is like a 70mm on a DX.

I think you might find the 60mm on the D700 more suited for fish portraits than macro.

regards Mark

The 105mm on a D700 should be a 105mm lens as it is a full frame camera, and that is what the lens is designed for.

My experience with the older 105mm lens required really good lighting for the autofocus to work well, so I usually go manual focus with mine.

The 60mm lens is much more versatile and gives excellent 1:1 macro results on a full frame camera (film / digital)

Duplicate Post :idk:

Last edited:
I know Max. The 60mm is more appropriate in So Cal vis than the

The 105 does not need a manual focus ring. It works just fine on
Adm. Linda's D40, though she usually shoots the 60mm these
days. And the older 105 has autofocused just fine on a variety
of cameras for me (F4, N90s, D70, D300).

Chuck

I've been saving for a new system and have decided on a Nikon D700 and Ikelite housing. I've been shooting P&S cameras for the past seven years and want to start with a full frame model rather than trade up later.
I've picked out the D700 with Ikelite housing, Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Wide Angle Zoom Lens with Ikelite Dome Port 5503.80, Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Macro Autofocus Lens with Ikelite Flat Port 5502.41 and two SubStrobe DS-160s. Is there anything wrong with these choices or would you recommend anything else?

A lot of people use fisheyes underwater for wideangle shots, instead of wideangle zooms like the one you have. I believe Nikon makes a 16mm full-frame fisheye lens, so I might look into that instead of the 16-35. 16mm fisheye will give you a much wider field of view than the 16-35mm rectilinear lens, and also a closer minimum focus distance for CFWA shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom