Instructor in the Detroit/Windsor Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olphart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for someone to teach/mentor my explorations into SM. I'm not at all interested in the cave aspect, though I might be inclined to penetrate wrecks when properly equipped and trained. I'm looking at it as a way to make the job of dealing w/ doubles that won't be so hard on this old man's back.

I have no doubles experience, so I haven't learned any bad habits...that I'm willing to discuss openly:rofl3:

Greetings olphart just read your thread and I do not know if this helps but my buddy in Fort Wayne IN has been working with me on my SM for the last year.
He is quite a bit farther than you would like but I am not sure of who is closer but I know there are some in Mich.
Have you ever heard of the CDF cave divers forum? You probably could find one pretty easy there.

SM is hitting mainstream and am lot of OW divers are using SM in place of BM.
Wreck diving should be entered into carefully as with any overhead environment.
Unfortunately wrecks have unique risk factors while pondering penetration and as with any dive plan training is always best.
I have used the SM in caves and OW but no wreck dives yet, "this summer" I will be on Lake Huron.

Good luck and if you require any contact information please just PM me or ask and you shall receive.
Safe diving and keep me posted.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Try the great lakes wrecking crew section. There is some shore diving, but mostly boat diving. If you are diving deep and deco wrecks, you will need to get into more gas supply I agree. Now SM can be use full on windy days in deco. Hanging on anchor line in deco is not fun, so if you can hook tanks to line and use long hose to breathe on shallow deco obligation with SM, I see that beeing a plus. But getting BM tanks too and from boat, and home, is heavy. Putting on BM and splashing in is not that hard on back, and the short time getting in.

What ever the case for you, goodluck on dive instruction in your area, dive clubs will help you also on diving events.

Happy Diving

Back
Top Bottom