Newbie confused about Side Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'd like to explore side mount diving but I'm a little bit confused as to the gear config and how it's configured.

I have a Zeagle Express Tech that I'd hopefully NOT get rid of. I know that someone uses this for SM - are there any mandatory modifications that I have to do to it?

I'm having some trouble finding a place that gives a comprehensive overview of the SM gear layout. What kind of tanks should be used? Would two HP100s work? All I would need on each tank is a first stage, second stage, pressure gauge, a bungee on either side of the BC for holding up the neck, and bolt snaps on either side, right?

Would I be really close if I go out and buy two regular stage bottle slings?

Hi bud,

I am gettinmg into sidemount I can tell you holistic is always better. what I mean if you don't want to buy a new rig ( I suggest it) try to look at your system and config it to you , without using a already existing system(ie razor,nomad or armadillo) you have to set up what you have to fit your level of comfort and flexibility . hope this helps

The first sidemount divers used the old jacket bc's. You can modify pretty much any BC depending on where you will sidemount. There will be times where any one will work, and when it won't. As far as stage slings.................no. That is stage diving. Sidemount is not stage diving. The idea behind sidemount diving is for the bottles to follow the edge of your body. Normal stage bottles hang below the diver.

I prefer the platform sidemounting creates. It is as if you are riding, or driving, your bottles, instead of carrying them on your back. The amount of taskloading this creates is much higher than single tank diving. Like any other system you have to make a choice and learn the proper way to dive it. You will need, money, time, patience and lots of practice if this is the road you choose. Good Luck with your new adventure.

There isn't really any "standard" sidemount setup. Every sidemount diver is setting up their rig according to the diving that they do. You can use stage bottle slings for the tanks, which I am using right now, but I am going to switch away from them as I can attain a better tank position and better trim in the water with a different setup. I am using the Dive Rite Nomad for my setup, and have been happy with it so far, but I am still not 100% happy with my setup. I have been able to go into just about any setup and feel comfortable with it in about 2-3 dives, but with sidemount it has not been that way. I do prefer the way sidemount feels in the water as opposed to backmounted doubles. I can handle carrying two separate tanks to the water as opposed to a set of doubles on my back.

There is definitely more task loading involved with sidemount as you need to maintain consistant tank pressures as there is no manifold to equalize the tanks. I have no issue with that since I am neurotic about checking my air supply as it is, now I just have two gauges to check. If I don't change regs and let one tank get a lower than the other I can feel it and I will lean to the side of the tank with more air.

I am sure you can dive your Zeagle as a side mount rig, but if you are going to switch from double sidemount to single backmout and so on depending on the dives you do, it will be much easier to have two separate setups. I have a BP/w for my singles, and a Nomad for sidemounted doubles. It works out good that way not only for having each setup as needed, but I can go for a first dive in sidemount, come out, then switch to a single backmount tank for the next dive, just by switching to a different rig that is ready to go.

Fuzzy, why are you looking at sidemount already?

I'd highly recommend taking a class like Essentials or Fundies, and working on your basic skills for a while. I understand that the topography at Monterey makes big gas supplies very attractive, but moving to a large single tank is a better change, I think, than going to doubles right away, no matter HOW you configure them.

I don't know much/anything about sidemount diving. What would the advantages be for open water diving with a surf entry?

Back
Top Bottom