D700 Hugyfot Housing vs Nauticam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaticman

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone have experience in comparing these two housings? I'm considering either one; I have an Aquatica for an F3 and it looks like Aquatica could design their D700 better so I'm not considering it. Do either of these housings have an advantage over the other in wide angle and macro?

I could be very wrong, but it appears to be larger than most and not as conforming to the camera body. The way the housing closes is similar to my F3 housing and I think that it could be changed somewhat. I do like the solid feel of the Aquatica F3 housing and I wonder if the others have that too. I wonder if I could use my F3 ports on the new Aquatica. They are basically screw on and I think that's a bad design because you can't get an exactly even seal with threads.

I recall Hugyfoot costing $$$$$ compared to other housings at the time.

My F3 lives in a Tussey housing complete with motordrive and sportsfinder. Although heavy it was my favourite system for years even after I bought an F801 which lives in an Aquatica housing.

When I turned digital I moved to Sea&Sea primarily because of availability.

Just notice that you are from Canada .... support your local manufacturer .... go Aquatica :)

You are correct about that. I used to know all the folks at Aquatica but I have gotten out of touch. I do believe in supporting local suppliers, I'm just considering other options first.

I'm making the same comparison except for a D7000 housing. I reckon there're both top notch housings, and would be happy with either. I've been doing a lot emailing, internet research, asking people I know who use both systems, and so forth.

It turns out to be a myth Hugy are super $$$$. They're about on par with other major manufacturers. In fact for what I need a Hugy system is cheaper than the equivalent Nauticam, and I'm able to get a Nauticam system for a good price (much less than what the official local Oz distributer has quoted me). The housing is marginally cheaper and odds and ends such as gears, extensions, ports, viewfinders are a bit cheaper too. It all adds up.

What I like about the Nauticam is there are four places to attach mounting balls. You can have your strobe arms attached to the handles or atop the housing, then use the other two for focus lights or whatever. However if you add a right side handle to the Hugy, you have three mounting balls, which is enough for me. Also Nauticam make a zoom gear for the Tokina 10-17mm + x1.4 Kenko TC combo, and Hugy don't.

I also looked into the mini fisheye dome options and initially it appeared Hugy came up short, which would have been a deal breaker for me. However a Subal mount Zen works with an adpater, and Zen are currently developing a Hugy mount for their domes, due around late Feb 2011. Also Hugy advised they are looking at making an acrylic mini fisheye dome of their own.

I really like the Hugycheck system too. To confirm 100% pre-dive your expensive gear is waterproof, is awesome. Also I reckon that neoprene strap would be good for one handed vertical shots, as the housing would just hang off your right hand.

So weighing up all of the above I'm more or less decided on a Hugy. Now to shell out the biccies!

Cheers,
Dave.

I'm making the same comparison except for a D7000 housing. I reckon there're both top notch housings, and would be happy with either. I've been doing a lot emailing, internet research, asking people I know who use both systems, and so forth.

It turns out to be a myth Hugy are super $$$$. They're about on par with other major manufacturers. In fact for what I need a Hugy system is cheaper than the equivalent Nauticam, and I'm able to get a Nauticam system for a good price (much less than what the official local Oz distributer has quoted me). The housing is marginally cheaper and odds and ends such as gears, extensions, ports, viewfinders are a bit cheaper too. It all adds up.

What I like about the Nauticam is there are four places to attach mounting balls. You can have your strobe arms attached to the handles or atop the housing, then use the other two for focus lights or whatever. However if you add a right side handle to the Hugy, you have three mounting balls, which is enough for me. Also Nauticam make a zoom gear for the Tokina 10-17mm + x1.4 Kenko TC combo, and Hugy don't.

I also looked into the mini fisheye dome options and initially it appeared Hugy came up short, which would have been a deal breaker for me. However a Subal mount Zen works with an adpater, and Zen are currently developing a Hugy mount for their domes, due around late Feb 2011. Also Hugy advised they are looking at making an acrylic mini fisheye dome of their own.

I really like the Hugycheck system too. To confirm 100% pre-dive your expensive gear is waterproof, is awesome. Also I reckon that neoprene strap would be good for one handed vertical shots, as the housing would just hang off your right hand.

So weighing up all of the above I'm more or less decided on a Hugy. Now to shell out the biccies!

Cheers,
Dave.

Hi Dave, I'm in Oz too, would you please PM me the Hugy and Nauticam contacts for the competitive prices?

Happy new year!

As above, would you mind sending me a PM as well please ? I'm also in Melbourne and looking at a housing for the d700...any pricing assistance would be great! The cheapest I've otherwise found is from the Philippines...

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom