single tank SM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olphart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I can't find any answers to the question of how to deal with the tendency to roll to the side if you only have one tank hooked up. Do you add weight to the no-tank side? Do you position one of those MRS bladders toward the tank side?:confused:
Or is it not an issue for some reason? I would think it would be very difficult to trim level and you'd end up suspended sideways over your tank, especially if it was a steel.

Or am I missing something?

I don't SM, but occasionally monkey dive (single AL80 on the left side). With or without a wing, I've never felt any "roll" to the left. No idea how that'd compare to a heavier steel cylinder. With a wing, though, it probably shouldn't be an issue (I routinely carry multiple bottles on just my left side, but they are supported by trapping gas on that side of the wing).

I monkey dive quite a bit with a single steel 12. Hovering with no wetsuit it wants to roll you over to the left a little until you get used to it, but with a 5mm there's hardly any tendency to that at all.

I'd say it's a non event really if your buoyancy and trim is sorted with backmount already.

I monkey dive quite a bit with a single steel 12. Hovering with no wetsuit it wants to roll you over to the left a little until you get used to it, but with a 5mm there's hardly any tendency to that at all.

I'd say it's a non event really if your buoyancy and trim is sorted with backmount already.
Ok, that 'splains it then Thanks guys!:cool3:

No problem with an AL80. I wouldn't recommend trying it with a steel cylinder, though.

Here's a video of a monkey dive with no wing. Buoyancy control is all breathing and finning controlled.

It depends on the wing and on your trim. I dive a Nomad (horseshoe shaped wing) and as long as the trim is fairly flat to slightly head down, you can trap gas differentially on one side of the wing or the other. When doing that I have no problems maintaining fairly good lateral trim with a full 95 on one side after dropping the other.

No problem with an AL80. I wouldn't recommend trying it with a steel cylinder, though.

Here's a video of a monkey dive with no wing. Buoyancy control is all breathing and finning controlled.

Rob, What harness are you using for that? Looking at my express tech and thinking that if I took the wing off it would work. Anxious to try some stuff like that this season.

Rob, What harness are you using for that? Looking at my express tech and thinking that if I took the wing off it would work. Anxious to try some stuff like that this season.

Net Doc dives his ET side mount and I dive mine with no bladder most of the time (main reason I got it) so I don't see any reason not too. I also plan to give SM a try this summer with it, don't see any reason for it not to work.

Nothing special, just an OMS IQ Pack. You can do it with any harness.

Rob, that is impossible... how in the world can you dive sans BC without dying?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom