I thought the oil was all gone ?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverestes

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
has anybody been diving in the area of the panhandle of florida recently? was diving with some friends last week near destin and we surfaced in the middle of a "patch" of oil balls. got all over our gear,really sucked!

Sorry to hear that, but there so many sources, including many natural ones, for sources of crude oil in the ocean I hope we don't see a lot of finger-pointing take place here.

Oil from the BP spill would be too decayed (tarballs) or dispersed (microscopic) to be recognizable as oil this long after the spill. You would probably need to look at other sources, like someone pumping bilges over your head. Perhaps someone with an automatic bilge pump, hmmmm?

Sorry to hear that, but there so many sources, including many natural ones, for sources of crude oil in the ocean I hope we don't see a lot of finger-pointing take place here.

thanks for replying everybody , we were just wondering if anyone else had encountered this. We filled a water bottle with these oil blobs . We come across a marine patrol back at the marina, he said this was a daily occurrence. No finger pointing at all here.it is,what it is. i have absolutely no plans to sue anyone , just shocked that this is still going on , and just for the record. It was very much identifiable as oil from somewhere. deff. not from a bilge. this was a reddish gray brown gooey substance that required dawn dish washing liquid and hot water to remove from hair and gear. sorry for posting in the wrong forum. im new.

We understand. All new members lack reading skills. You'll be ok...

thanks for replying everybody , we were just wondering if anyone else had encountered this. We filled a water bottle with these oil blobs . We come across a marine patrol back at the marina, he said this was a daily occurrence. No finger pointing at all here.it is,what it is. i have absolutely no plans to sue anyone , just shocked that this is still going on , and just for the record. It was very much identifiable as oil from somewhere. deff. not from a bilge. this was a reddish gray brown gooey substance that required dawn dish washing liquid and hot water to remove from hair and gear. sorry for posting in the wrong forum. im new.

Yup, definitely sounds like it was from a bilge with Detroit engines. Kinda like an old Harley, Detroits are well lubed inside and out. And, if you think that what comes out of a bilge doesn't look like oil, you are welcome to come anytime to clean mine for Coast Guard inspection. I'll even throw in free diving with each bilge cleaning.

As a local I will have to agree with Wookie. After seeing your post I asked my friend Captain Harold, charter boat captain in Destin for over 40 years what the fleet has been seeing lately. His response was...."a LOT of fish." No reports of oill due to the BP spill.I have no idea what the Marine Patrol would mean by a "daily" occurence. Can you tell me where you were diving when you encountered the oil?

we were diving some "live bottom" for lobsters toward Grayton beach. not trying to paint the pic that the water was a blanket of oil,but,deff. a patch of oil that was the color of amberjack blood. gooey and when you tried to wipe it off of your gear or hair it smeared. hopefully you guys are right. your friend was right about the fish and the viz was not bad either. Since I have been back home (memphis) I been checking around and happen to stumble onto a article that Panama city got hit with quite a bit of oil a few days after our encounter.

Amber liquid sounds more like I'm stupid or power steering fluid. It is very likely that this is from a bilge. I worked on a salmon boat in Alaska that was equipped with a Detroit engine, and if it was leaking a good amount of power steering fluid that is probably what it would look like. What you surfaced in is most likely an oil, fuel, and power steering mixture. Definitely not fun to clean up and a real pain. The dish soap I forget why it works, but it does. We could toss it on oil floating in the river and it would appear to dissolve it.

Back
Top Bottom