History of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virgil

Contributor
Reaction score
as someone keen on modern history and an increasingly keen novice diver i'd like to combine the two and find out some more about how the sport developed.

i've heard that the book, "stars beneath the sea" by Trevor Norton is worth a look. does anyone have any comments on that or alternative recommendations?

From when does your definition of "modern" history begin?

fair question.

actually i have a number of periods/events that fascinate me which range from the crusades to the vietnem war, the Irish famine to how aboriginal people managed to colonise Australia. the more i learn the more i realise i don't know.

but i guess in diving terms i would be looking at a period that starts with Charles Deane's inital experiments with the dive helmet and goes as up to date as possible. but i will always be keen to learn about related histories.

There's a book by James Dugan called somthing like "Man Under The Sea" that covers some incredible stuff that I'd never heard of. Steam powered submaries, an inventor who drove a wheeled submarine around on the bottom of the Great Lakes, and such. He covers helmets and scuba also. Dugan was a co-author of some of the early Cousteau books.

"Neutral Buoyancy:adventures in a liquid world" by TIm Ecott talks about the history of diving; equipment, pioneers etc...

divemed06 once bubbled...
"Neutral Buoyancy:adventures in a liquid world" by TIm Ecott talks about the history of diving; equipment, pioneers etc...

I second that recomedation! Excellent book that deals with everything from the Greek sponge divers, to renaissance diving bells and all the way up to the demand regulator. It's very easy to read history and one of the best parts about it is he peppers his own diving experience in it as well. VERY good book that I have already read twice.

I just finished reading Tim Ecott's book, and have to agree. Part dive travelogue, part dive history.
He does cover bits and pieces of approx 400yr of underwater experimentation. Not a ton of detail, but enough to wet your appetite.

Another vote for Neutral Buoyancy. A very readable history of diving and has good section on freediving too.

It's full of interesting details. I remember one account of a helmet diver whose body was basicallhy sucked up into his hose. Hard way to go methinks. :wacko:

There is a short history of diving in the US Navy diving manual. It is not comprehensive but it gives you the important dates and milestones.

Best of all it's free!!!

You can download it from the net. Go to Google and search for the US navy diving manual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom