The Graveyard of the Atlantic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Regulators... sorry, I couldn't figure out whether this should be in "exposure protection," "NC Wreck Divers," or what. SO...

If I found myself diving down off the Outer Banks in late October early November, what wetsuit would I want to be wearing. Gloves? Hood?

Probably going deep but I don't get cold very easily.

Anyone? Anyone?

By mid-October I dove a 5 mil farmer-john when I dove the east coast wrecks with a 5 mil hood and lightweight gloves. I'm looking back at my old logs for October and November (1991 was when I was last actively diving the area) and see the air and water temps were running around 70 (give or take two or three degrees in early October) -- even deeper dives like the Morgan at 99 fsw. By the time I get into the logged dives in late October the water temps are dropping into the middle to lower 60s and into the 50s by early November. By November I was wearing a 2mil hotsuit under the farmer-john and warmer gloves.

Aparently the Miss Lindsey had left for the Bahamas by early November because I don't have anything logged outside of the Chesapeake Bay after that -- but bay water temps were down into the middle 50s and I suspect the open water wasn't much better.

For the record I show logged dives in the bay in January and water temps then were 42 and I suspect that was about as bad as it got but after a few dives in the bay in January I threw in the towel and followed the Miss Lindsey down to the Bahamas for the rest of the winter. ~smile~

Hope that info will help you some.

Edited to add a comment here...

One other thing I just came across in the log book... I hit a few thermoclines that were like "take your breath away" cold. Dressing warm is wise this time of year according to my old logs.

I would highly recommend checking with some of the dive shops before you go. This has been a very strange year in the mid-atlantic. I was in Nags Head three short weeks ago and we had bottom temps in the upper 50's. Very, very strange year.

How far down the outer banks? If you 're diving around Nags Head. I'd suggest a 5 mil with shorty, hood and gloves or even go dry. If you're going farther south probably a 5 mil with hood will work. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks, I'm supposed to be back down there around the end of Sept.

Going to Morehead City the last weekend actually in October.

So a 3 mil may not be enough. Will a 7 be too much or can I get by flushing the 7 mil every couple of minutes?

saying --

A 3mil is very definately not enough for the end of October. As I already noted, I was diving a 5 mil farmer-john which means it was 10 mil around the core of my body. That said, unless you're a cold natured person, a 7 mil should be okay... esp. if you wear a dive skin under it.

Depends on where you are diving. If you are going out of Nags Head/Manteo you would definitely want a 5/7ml with hoods and gloves. Iwas there in mid August and I was recording temps on the bottom of 51 to 52 F on the U-85. On a shore dive I saw 56F.

Some of the people that were on the boat dive didn't do a second tank because they were too uncomfortable.

If you are going out of Hatteras into the gulf stream forget the hood. The best advice was call the dive shop. They'll give you the up to minute. Dress warm because it's an expensive boat ride if you are too cold!

saying once bubbled...
Going to Morehead City the last weekend actually in October.

Who are you diving with down there?

cornfed once bubbled...

Who are you diving with down there?

My LDS very heartily recommends Olympus (that's who they book trips through, but the shops last trip is a weekend I can't go :( )

Problem is, Olympus is only running dives Saturday and Sunday of that weekend. Still gotta find a place that'll get me to the bottom of the sea on Friday.

You might try Diver Down (Capt. Bobby Cox, http://www.diverdownscubadiving.com ). I've never dove with them (or anyone in Hatteras, for that matter) but a friend says he won't dive with anyone but Bobby.

Also, who's your LDS in "North Virginia"?

Drew

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom