Budget places in Sharm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any recommendations on budget options in or near Sharm? I'm not keen on the whole resort thing, I am in Dahab now and like it here but the dive to the Thislegorm from here leaves at 3:30am which is really PAINFUL! I was hoping to stay a couple days in Sharm to do both the Thislegorm and Ras Muhammed. Was wondering what would be a good budget place to stay in the area to mainly do these dives and to a lesser extent check out the nightlife in Na'ama bay on New Years Eve.

Some operators in Dahab do the Thistlegorm and Ras Mohamed overnight, meaning that they leave Dahab at 9:00 PM, spend the night on the boat and dive in the morning. It requires sufficient number to run the trip though.

Otherwise, IMHO, the most convenient way is to do the 3:30 AM trip. Still way better than trawling your gear to Sharm, find accommodation, etc...

Just my 2 cents.

Have a check on the Coral Hills hotel, Om El Sid. 10 minutes by Taxi to Naama and 5 minutes from the Harbour. Stayed there a few times now, and it's right on top of the Il Mercato center so plenty of shops and resturants to choose from.
Not going to be the most luxurious hotel you have ever stayed in but you get what you pay for.

Thanks MatD, how much is the taxi approx from Om El Sid, I try to avoid taxis like the plague due to rip off schemes...

Last time we paid 120 egyptian to get back to the airport. (about $21 USD)
Be carefull with the taxi's from the airport, my sister in law got caught for £35 ($53) as she did not want to negotiate.

Taxi to Airport from Omm El Seid (aka Umm Sid) is 50 Egyptian Pounds, 70 MAXIMUM. Any more than that and you are being fleeced. If your hotel is offering you stupid money prices, pop outside and flag down a blue and white cab.

Can't really help with hotels but Sharm Luna and Tropicana Tivoli (in Hadaba) have been mentioned as reasonably priced - 20 Egyptian pound taxi ride to na'ama bay.

Cheapest option by far is the 3.30am start from Dahab - depending on the boat you are diving on, you have 2.5 - 3.5 hours journey time from Sharm anyway - so plenty of time for a snooze.

Hope that helps

C.

The very cheapest hotels are all $100+/day which is too expensive given that I am spending a fraction of that for a decent room here in Dahab.. resorts presumably occupied by the non-diving sun and sand tourists from Europe so I'm competing with them for prices in Sharm. I'm in Sharm only to dive, I could care less about all inclusive resorts or nightclubs.

Back
Top Bottom