Caymans for Divemaster/IDC programs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sturgeon

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone has any input on the quality of divemaster and IDC programs on Grand Cayman. So far I've found two that look promising. Has anyone been through Bob Soto's for training? What did you think? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated....I'm currently only at the open water level and am not in any particular rush to be an instructor, but would like to get there eventually, and want to feel confident in my experience and skills when I'm in that position. I'm pretty much willing to go anywhere that's safe enough for a 26 yr old female who is traveling alone!

Cheers!

Most any dive shop can train a DM once you are ready. Only a shop with a Course Director can run an IDC and prepare you to take the Instructor Exam.

Currently, there are only three Course Directors on Grand Cayman that I am aware of, James, Ash, and Renee. I haven't seen or heard of James running any IDC's, though that may change. Ash and Renee work through different shops, but seem to run IDC's together.

I don't know what your ultimate plans are, so this may not apply to you. But here is something to think about.

If you live where the local diving is non-tropical, and you plan to DM or teach locally, I strongly urge you to seek your training from a place where such diving is conducted. There are a significant amount of knowledge and procedures specific to local diving that are not embodied in a written curriculum. This is especially true for divemaster training, as it entails a fair amount of time spent in apprenticeship under an instructor. For example, someone trained as a DM in the Carribean will need a good amount of adjusting and observing before becoming a competent assistant or dive guide in Monterey, where students wear two piece 7mm suits with thick hoods and gloves, wear 30+lbs of weight and may get cold really fast.

OTOH, if you live close to warm water, or plan to do these things in warm water only, then I guess it's all fine. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom