opinions of online dive sites (stores)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulintexas

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to be putting together a dive site for a LDS and wanted to get opinions on what people do/don't like in an online dive store (what better way to build a site than to get feedback from real divers? :))

Anyway, it may be inappropriate for this board, so if you'd rather email/PM me your favorite sites, or opinions on how to make a good site, I'm all ears!

Also, if you'd like to be a beta tester, I could use the feedback obviously.

Mods, if this is an inappropriate thread, please let me know a better forum (or move it for me! thanks!)

Thanks,
Paul

deleted by author

I'm sorry

I don't think my original message was clear...

I'm going to be building a web site for a LDS, and want opinions on what you like (and don't like) about other sites so that I can customize the site for maximum utility for the diver!!

In other words, not after a LDS versus Online debate!!!

I think he means he is setting up a website for a LDS, if I am not mistaken. That's a bit different than something like LeisurePro.

My LDS has a lot of cool stuff on their website designed to be a reference for local divers. They have complete tide charts for every dive site in the area, a webcam of local sea conditions, water temp/wind info etc....

They also post reports from the local boat captians about what the vis is like, and what the spearfishers and bug hunters are catching.

This kind of information will keep divers coming back to a website.

Out of the ones I have physically visited, this is probably the best one I have seen:

Lynnhaven Dive Center
http://www.ldcscuba.com/

I really like how they do the boat schedules.

There are some things I think they could do better.

definately in depth info on local dive sites. especially less common ones.

Here are the things I would like to see on my LDS's site...

Calendar of events.. that is actually updated more than once every three years. Since LDS owners usually aren't webmasters, make it something easy for him/her to update (CGI admin tool, etc).

Message board for customers to talk about local dive sites, etc (turn your customers into a community)

If no message board, set up a buddy finder system.. you may get a lot more business if your customers have more oppertunity to dive.

Of course most of this requires a server with CGI access and many dive shops don't quite see the point of that. If you want to save yourself some time, set up a Yahoo! Group for your LDS and you will get a calendar, a message board, a place for pictures and other files, etc. Link to it from the LDS's home page.

Once thing to avoid at all cost: MUSIC!! There are so many LDS sites out there that play "Under the Sea" and it is horribly annoying.

thought I'd bump this, as the store is about ready to go. It is a simple store, but I'd love to get feedback from people if you'd like to help test before we go live next week (in time for Christmas!)

Anyway, drop me a PM or email if you want to try it out (no orders will be honored or credit cards charged, so no need to worry!)

Thanks,
Paul

my LDS has a pretty good section about all their classes, but their equipment section sucks.

They have 1 of each kind of equipment (not the complete line they sell), and no prices. If there's no price info, I may as well be looking at a mfr's website ... it'd at least show the whole product line

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom