What do you guys think of Steve Bogaert's Razor Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only way you'll know is try all the different systems. Rule#1 ask 10 sidemount divers their opinion,and get 11 opinions in return. Rule #2 generally when a person has dropped a lot on money on something,they aren't going to have a lot of negative opinions. Seriously,sidemounting has been around for a long time,but the commercial explosion is new,and there are very few people who have experience with all the different systems. If you have the option to try before you buy,then I would recommend it.

Greetings Crock and as Karst has mentioned you really do not need opinion but rather facts gained by trial.
I will try to remain factual but I would rather advise you to consider what diving you will be primarily doing then research which system works best.

The Nomad is considered to be more versatile especially for colder water divers simply because it offers more lift thus bigger cylinders can be used.
It is more bulky for travel but no more than a normal soft plated BC. The butt plate on the non one piece back folds up or back or can be removed for ease of packing.

The Razor is very simple clean and very compact, it can roll up into a pretty tight ball.
The idea of added lift is an option but the system was developed with AL 80's in mind.
It works very well depending on your trim and weight requirements.

Both systems are great options for a diver to have in their arsenal.
I use what ever it takes and train to be prepared for what diving I plan to do.
A rather case specific approach works for me. Sorry opinion there!

The cold hard facts the best determination for you will be found in the pool or at a DIve Rite tech tour that take place around in the coming year.
THe Razor is a tough one because there are not a whole bunch around just yet but if you are wanting to give one a shot meet me in my local and we can arrange it.
One of my LDS has one for demo actually they have both to try.
If you would be int the area I am certain we could get you in both in the pool to try before you buy.
That is the best principal I have ever employed in my gear purchases.

I am a gear junky that has 2 or more of many things.
Come on down in the end of Jan. beginning of Feb. there is going to be a gear swap, build your own O2 analyzer work shop.
PM me if you are interested or if I can help you with some gear options.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

What do you guys think of Steve Bogaert's Razor harness?Just need to know if i should buy it or is the nomad better?
As karstdvr and CamG have implied, it is a hard question to answer, as stated. The two are very different systems, with primarily the word 'sidemount' being the common denominator. Cam also made a good point about the lift provided by the Nomad, compared to the Razor. But, I am curious about two things: 1) Why are you considering the Razor? That's not a negative question by any means. The 'retail' availability of the Razor is fairly limited and I was wondering what attracted you to it. I have never seen a Razor outside of Steve's videos, but would love to try one simply because of the videos - he makes the dives look so effortless that they are inspirational irrespective of the gear configuration, and the unit is certainly streamlined. 2) Why did you frame your question around the Razor and the Nomad in particular, considering what could be described as an explosion of availability of commercial SM rigs (e.g. Hollis, Armadillo, Oxycheq, OMS, Dragon, etc, and some other 'innovator available only' units as well), as well as adaptations of other rigs to SM, many of which are described in SB threads? Again, that is not intended as a negative question at all (nor am I disagreeing with your choices). Rather, I would be interested in your reasoning.

Last edited:
If you're from Toronto and want to dive said harness in Toronto, I wouldn't come within 50 miles of the Razor harness... It doesn't do stages all that well, and it wasn't designed for cold, deep diving. That's what the Nomad is for, and the Armadillo for that matter
The Razor, well if you're doing short, shallow, warm diving, Razor all the way. I build one about a year ago, no plates, uses Grommets and sex screws cuz I was cheap, but it is awesome for scooting around pools and the quarry etc in a 3-5mm wetsuit.

Not having a BC is a little worrisome, but if you're diving with AL80's or are weighted properly, it's not all that bad. The new UTD system's wing is pretty spiffy, but again, wouldn't use it in cold/deep water with big heavy tanks.

What attracted me to the Razor, along with Steve's videos(!), was its similarity to the Hog harness I use for my other diving. No buckles, breaks, padding, chest straps, or extra D-rings. With the exception of the Armadillo, the other commercial systems look to me as cluttered as the Nomad. (And the original Armadillo didn't fit me.) The new UTD harness looks very similar to the Razor, but is cheaper, and set up to take their new manifold system if desired.

Last edited:
Yes, I have the same thoughts . . . after using a simple Hog harness for five years, the Nomad just seemed kind of cluttered, and a simple harness system appeals. But lift is definitely an issue, and I'd be really curious to hear if anybody using a Razor-type setup has figured out how to add enough lift to it to dive cold water and steel tanks. AG has some reasons why he thinks less lift than normal is okay with the Z-system, but I remain skeptical.

It will be interesting to see what Steve finally comes up with for flotation for the Razor. The Hollis SMS100 wing looks like it will provide more lift with the Razor, but I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. The other alternative for me would be the smaller version of the Armadillo.

I have a Razor on the way and I have the Hollis SMS100. Feedback from Steve B. is he will have a wing for the Razor shortly in the next few months. It's a nice harness!

Dwayne

Last edited:
The razor harness is as simple as it gets and really designed to be case specific.
This being said warm water, AL 80's, wet suit provide a wonderful travel rig especially for MX.
A cold water version will have to adapt a wing which will tend to remove the original simplistic design of the harness.
Part of the reason I personally love the Razor is its minimalistic approach and how it is adaptable for the traveler in AL 80 countries like MX.

These things being said the Nomad is basically a Trans Pac harness with a wing.
I modified my harness took off all padding but the shoulder pads, which I left for personal preference, and added a butt plate / bungees.
I personally have not added a Nomad wing but bungeed and used cave line to secure my Rec wing to the harness. I estimate that I have about 30-40 lbs of lift.
I dive primarily dry so I have not noticed a big issue unless I try diving big steels.
Faber 95's trim fairly easy Faber 85's are perfect the Worthington tanks I have tried seem to be noticeably heavier.
I purchased a set of Worthington 77's but they trim out strange and require me to add some weight.
The Faber 85's take no weight and no air in my wing which seems to be the sweet spot for me personally.

One thing that many divers getting into SM do not realize is that the optimum tank for your body size and dive requirements is huge.
The law of diminishing returns in terms of proper weighting can make big RMV / SAC rate differences.
What I am learning from experience and observation is that Faber 85's and AL 80 stages can really take me farther than I originally thought.
Some times bigger tanks actually do not! This is my observation.

I understand the Gas planning requirements and plan my dives accordingly running on thirds or more when the environment requires it.
I have not done any serious deep dives "Deco" as of yet but can carry 85's and 1 stage with an O2 bottle no problem with my Nomad clone. No lift troubles yet.

I am going to have to order one of these Hollis wings to test it out.
The discussion here and other threads has made it interesting to play with.
I wonder what Dive-a-holic "Rob" has found out so far with his.

Well dive safe everyone and try them both and share your findings.
One thing is for sure everyone has their own twist to customize their rig!

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Back
Top Bottom