Dive Spot Catalina Island: Rock Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaliforniaDivingNews

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
by Scott Gietler

I visit some dive sites with high expectations. Some meet these expectations. Other dive sites don't have a big reputation, but they grow on me over time, eventually becoming one of my favorites. The Rock Quarry at Catalina Island falls into the latter category.

The Rock Quarry lies west of Long Point and Goat Harbor, but east of Sea Fan Grotto and Two Harbors. Because it is well protected, conditions are usually calm here. I like to divide this dive site up into three areas ... Read More

upload_0000NN.jpg

One of my favorite Catalina dive sites in large part due to the presence of the scythe butterflyfish, Scott. I've even filmed juveniles there indicating that they are breeding in our waters. I also found about a dozen Hopkins roses there on one dive. And then there's the great white that hangs out a bit offshore...

Back
Top Bottom