troubles with G11/dual DS-51 setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olyvtx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have had my system for a few months now. Dive starts out ok with the ttl working fine (G11 in Av mode). After about 6-7 shots the strobe stop firing, red neon indicator on strobes on. It appears the G11 doesn't recognize them. Turned everything off and back on but same problem. Finally was able to get strobes to fire in manual mode.

Any suggestions?

Sorry to hear of the trouble. Does this happen only when you dive or also on the surface?

- Check that the pins in the housing's hotshoe are all springy. Press on each and they should depress and spring back.
- Make sure the hotshoe is pushed all of the way onto the camera. If it does not go fully into the camera's hotshoe connector then this could cause the loss of contact after a few shots.
- If you have a single cord or a second dual sync cord try the system with a different cord.

Let me know the results of these suggestions...

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thanks for the reply Jean.

I checked the pins on the hotshoe and they are all fine.
The hotshoe is seated all the way.
I have a dual sync cord. Would be nice to try another cord but.....how? I have only one.

I went out again today. First 20 minutes i shot manual strobe settings and G11 in Av mode. Worked fantastic. 20+ pictures, manual strobe setting from full to minimum.

Then, thought I'd try ttl. Got 4 good shots then....ttl quit working. The camera didn't sense the strobes because it took it's shutter out to 1sec. As i was trouble shooting i saw that the strobes are firing but the G11 has extended it's shutter speed. I powered down the G11 but still no ttl. I powered down all strobes and G11 and went back to manual strobes.

Back on land i double checked the G11 flash settings and it's set for First Curtain and Slow Sync is off. The bad pictures exif data says flash didn't fire (although they did). Shutter time was anywhere from .6 to 1 sec.

???

Got the back to my housing back from Ikelite. They replaced the hotshoe circuitry. I finally had the opportunity to dive yesterday. Shot all ttl and almost every shot was perfect! Yayyyy!

Attachments

• IMG_2060-2.jpg
    IMG_2060-2.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2063-2.jpg
    IMG_2063-2.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2085-2.jpg
    IMG_2085-2.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2080-2.jpg
    IMG_2080-2.jpg