Halcyon bp "pad" removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on_two_wheels

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Posting here because I know a lot of the DIR guys use halcyon plates. Need a quick answer:

I have a steel plate with the very thin halcyon pad attached. The screws holding it on just spin when turned with a screwdriver. So how the hell do you get it off? The female piece from the other side just spins with the screw. The screw head is so large in relation that holding it with pliers isn't working out so well either. Suggestions? I am hoping to use my argon bottle for the first time tomorrow so I need to get a couple of these off to mount it. There's no rust, everything gets soaked for HOURS in fresh water after every dive day.

Thanks for any quick tips.

Holding the flat female receptacle hard against the BP w/index finger always allows me to unscrew without too much effort. If you have some corrosion going on, you may need to use a chemical agent of some sort to assist...

When I take mine off I use a set of vice grips and clap the edge of the disk to the backplate and the lining material then use the screwdriver to take it apart.

On one set of my "book screws" the female - non-slotted side has 2 flats that I can put a wrench on. May not be the case with yours. On my other pad, I just use a vice-grip to hold on. I try to not clamp the vice-grip too hard.

Henrik

+1 on the vice grips. If you have a new, tight pair of them you can hold the perimeter of the nut.

As Henrik pointed out, the newer version of the Halcyon BP has flats on the nuts and I 'upgraded' mine with a file once they were out.

WTH?? Are people saying that the sex bolts Halcyon supplies are not slotted on both the male and female bolts? Once you get them all mangled using pliers, vise grips, and channel locks throw them away and buy some proper sex bolts. Even the plastics sex bolts from Zeagle are slotted on both bolts.

WTH?? Are people saying that the sex bolts Halcyon supplies are not slotted on both the male and female bolts? Once you get them all mangled using pliers, vise grips, and channel locks throw them away and buy some proper sex bolts. Even the plastics sex bolts from Zeagle are slotted on both bolts.

Only tighten the vise grip enough to hold the back side of the bolt. If you are concerned about scratching the bolt or your plate, wrap the jaws in electrical tape. If you are clamping down enough to mangle or crush the bolt you are using too much pressure.

If you are concerned that you will not be able to restrain the great griping crushing force of your manly giant powerful hands, ask a woman or small child to remove the bolts for you. :rofl3:

WTH?? Are people saying that the sex bolts Halcyon supplies are not slotted on both the male and female bolts?

The female part is a very slim piece (think hollow volcano shaped - if that makes any sense). There is simply no place for a slot.

I think they on the newer kits use female bolts that have flats on the edge.

IMO The advantage of this very slip female bolt is that there's nothing to wear on your suit when wearing the plate.

Henrik

Step 1:
Hold female part of sex bolt against the backplate with your thumb to keep it from moving.

Step 2:
Unscrew male part of sex bolt.

I've never had to use vice grips or anything else, and I've undone a zillion of these.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom