Cairo at end of January - taking quick sidetrip to Hurghada, questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoHokiesGo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife has a work conference in Cairo coming up during the last week of January, so I've decided to tag along for the trip and do some sight seeing in Egypt.

I'm planning a side trip from the Tues-Thurs to head down to Hurghada for a day or two of diving on the Red Sea. I'm still a beginner diver with only a handful of dives under my belt, and I usually only dive 1-2x a year when I get to warmer climates for vacation.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a dive operation that I should book a day trip with? I'll need to rent gear while there, so it'd be nice to go with a shop that has good quality gear. Are there any specific dive sites that are better suited to less experienced divers, mainly shallower depths with a lot to see? Is it even warm enough for diving in January?

Also, is there any chance that someone else will be there that same week or a local diver that would like to meet up? I'll be making the side trip by myself since my wife will be working, so it'd be great to meet up with a friend while there! :cool2:

Thanks for the help!

~Jason

My wife has a work conference in Cairo coming up during the last week of January, so I've decided to tag along for the trip and do some sight seeing in Egypt.

I'm planning a side trip from the Tues-Thurs to head down to Hurghada for a day or two of diving on the Red Sea. I'm still a beginner diver with only a handful of dives under my belt, and I usually only dive 1-2x a year when I get to warmer climates for vacation.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a dive operation that I should book a day trip with? I'll need to rent gear while there, so it'd be nice to go with a shop that has good quality gear. Are there any specific dive sites that are better suited to less experienced divers, mainly shallower depths with a lot to see? Is it even warm enough for diving in January?

Also, is there any chance that someone else will be there that same week or a local diver that would like to meet up? I'll be making the side trip by myself since my wife will be working, so it'd be great to meet up with a friend while there! :cool2:

Thanks for the help!

~Jason
Hi Jason
Didn't say where you are staying? We have been to the Safir Hotel which has a dive operator working from it. They were brill. Their dives vary in depth but average 15-22m deep. Boat was not full and somedays only 6 of us on board which was bliss. Its a french operation but they speak good english. Full intro before dive, sign off when back on board and a debrief. We are going back in May as so professional. Hotel is basic but good for egyption standards but the plus is you can see the boat moored from the balcony so no getting on buses and being shipped around. Boat leaves at 9am and is usually back about 4pm, get 2 dives and lunch on board which is very good. All gear can be hired. Price is about 56 euros for full day and guide with hire and lunch. The site is Plongée en Mer Rouge, Séjour Plongée en Mer Rouge, Plongée en Egypte, Croisières Plongée en Mer Rouge, Formation Plongée en Egypte or check Safir Hotel, hurghada.
Regards Chris

Hey Chris,

Thank you for the response and information.

I ended up booking a hotel and dive through the Steigenberger Al Dau Beach Hotel in Hurghada.

Steigenberger Al Dau Beach Hotel: 5 star luxury Red Sea resort in Hurghada, Egypt

I found decent nightly rates for the hotel (US$79/nt on Expedia, seemed reasonable for something snazzy looking), and the on-site Ilios Dive Center has emailed back and forth with me a few times already to schedule a few dives. They're a PADI certified dive center.

Ilios Diving Club - The Leading Red Sea Diving Club - Home

They quoted me at 115 euros for two days of diving, 4 dives total- including gear rental, tax, park fees. Does that sound reasonable? They said they always have multiple dive guides on the boat as well and will group divers based on experience levels. So it sounds like they'll be able to place me in a group with other beginner divers, which will be great.

I'm extremely excited to try diving in the Red Sea, as I've heard the reefs and sealife are incredible, can't wait!

Hey Chris,

Thank you for the response and information.

I ended up booking a hotel and dive through the Steigenberger Al Dau Beach Hotel in Hurghada.

Steigenberger Al Dau Beach Hotel: 5 star luxury Red Sea resort in Hurghada, Egypt

I found decent nightly rates for the hotel (US$79/nt on Expedia, seemed reasonable for something snazzy looking), and the on-site Ilios Dive Center has emailed back and forth with me a few times already to schedule a few dives. They're a PADI certified dive center.

Ilios Diving Club - The Leading Red Sea Diving Club - Home

They quoted me at 115 euros for two days of diving, 4 dives total- including gear rental, tax, park fees. Does that sound reasonable? They said they always have multiple dive guides on the boat as well and will group divers based on experience levels. So it sounds like they'll be able to place me in a group with other beginner divers, which will be great.

I'm extremely excited to try diving in the Red Sea, as I've heard the reefs and sealife are incredible, can't wait!
Hi Jason
Glad you got something sorted - sounds good. Gotta say found it hard to find better diving around the world and for us its only a 5 hour flight. If you give me your address I will send you our 11 minute underwater film we made at hurghada - its our first attempt so excuse the amaturishness!!
Regards Chris email: chrisandkeith@bournemouthbh8.freeserve.co.uk

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about the trip, it's coming up extremely quick now.

I just sent you an email for the video, I'd love to see it!

~Jason

Hi to Simon and Peter who contacted me also.
Hope you got my emails and seen the video on You Tube - all this technology!!!!! Anyway any questions, please ask as you have my email.
Regards Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom