Rescue course this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mars2u

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Well...here I go again undertaking yet another class to my goal of DM and eventually Instructor. Just got back from my class tonight (passed the written) and met one guy (my dive buddy) that will be joining us as well as one of the shop guys and his wife.

The instructor just got his certification and seems like a knowledgeable type but I'll get a better feel this weekend. I volunteered the shop guy for all of us to do the diver tow out of the water. My dive buddy is in his late 40's/early 50's and weighs 220+lbs., so I thought I'd volunteer the shop guy ahead of time myself...:D

The instructor is SSI....but my OW and AOW PADI instructor will also be there doing an AOW class which makes me a little more comfortable since he's a GREAT instructor and just having someone around that I know gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Sooooo here's my question(s):

What (if any) surprised you about the class?
Any difficulties?
Any suggestions/hints to make this a better experience?

Thanks in advance.

This is one fun classes!

To make the most of it, this is the time to mentally turn yourself into an actor. Really get into the roll playing and try to picture each step in some place you have dove before. Don't just read the material and answer the questions. Put as much reality as you can imagine into every step. Ask the instructor to paint the picture and make things progressively more complicated.

ask for direct critique at the end of each situational and redo them if you can.

At the end of each class and pool session reread the materials and relate them to what you did in the pool. Do they mesh? If not ask the instructor why!

grab as many tools as you can and practice them every chance you can. then come back here and tell us what you learned and see if we can add even more to the basket!

Hallmac

mars2u once bubbled...
[BSooooo here's my question(s):

What (if any) surprised you about the class?
Any difficulties?
Any suggestions/hints to make this a better experience?

Thanks in advance. [/B]

1. How intense it was.

2. No difficulties, it's a physical workout though.

3. When you're role playing a stressed diver, or a victim, think "realism" and don't go overboard. Be prepared for a physical workout and ask LOTS of questions. Don't stand in the "back", but be up front, and when te instructor asks for a volunteer, stand out and step up.

4. Have lots of sun. You'll find yourself laughing while you fall over in the water dragging someone out who's laughing at you. ALl in all, it's a kick in the pants.

Rescue is a hoot! Have fun and try to imagine what you are doing is rescuing your buddy, not drowning him :wink:

The one lesson I learned from the class is I never want to be the subject of a rescue, so I'm a lot safer diver now...check, double-check equipment and myself before each dive.

Hope you get the same sort of lesson...

What surprized me the most was how much fun it was. I expected a lot of hard work, which it was, but I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did.

I liked it so much that once or twice a year, I volunteer to play victom for a rescue class just so I can keep learning and help keep some of the skills up.

As the others have noted, it is a really fun class. Make a bet with your buddy as to how often you will be able to drown him when you are simulating a panicked diver. :)

My biggest surprise was how hard it was to simultaneously maintain proper rescue breathing timing while degearing and towing someone.

When you are playing victim, don't be surprised if you swallow some water while they tow you through the surf. The point of the exercise is to teach you how manage the airway of an unconscious victim ----- at times it can be pretty rough being the victim while the others are still learning!

Remind you new instructor to warn all other persons in the area that you will be conducting rescue exercises ---- you don't want to add to the realism by having Coast Guard, ambulances, and police showing up.

Hey there guys!

as a fairly new diver that plans to do a lot of diving, do you all think that taking the rescue course is a good idea? My dive shop has a combined Resuce/Medic first aid course..is it benifical?

IT sounds like everyone that has taken it enjoys it...but is it worth the money?

Thanks for the info

Tommy

Rescue is a great class

The only trouble(s) I had was when I had to remove the weight belt of the victim on the surface when I was the rescuer.

He had integrated weight pockets and I just couldn't get both of them out. I think he had too many weights in there or maybe I'm just too weak :)

In a situation like that just leave them in there. It's more important that you start giving Rescue Breaths and bringing the victim back to shore.

Also when you get close to the shore with the vivtim analyse your exit point and think about what kind of method you will be using to carry the victim out.

I chose to do the underarm carry (i think that's what it's called) where you just grab the victim under their arms and pull them up the beach.

What I found for me was that it was really hard (I'm 16 and not too muscular).

I should have done the Packstrap carry instead. With that you can carry almost anyone up the beach, doesn't matter what size they are

If you are doing your Rescue Course on some kind of beach make sure you carry the person far enough up the beach (out of the swash/wave zone).

Enjoy your Rescue Course

I think all divers should be rescue certified. It doesn't hurt to have it combined with the medic first aid. Mine was and included the DAN O2 certification.

Back
Top Bottom