Pros and Cons of Rigid D-Ring on Hip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cheeko8080

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am not currently a strict DIR diver but am interested in it and am learning about it. I dive with a nearly DIR rig right now (BP/W, long hose, single webbing harness etc.). I dive a single tank but sling a 40cf pony on my left side. As I've been getting used to clipping and unclipping the pony and SPG from my hip it's seemed to me like a rigid hip D-ring would be easier to clip and unclip to and from as it isn't always flopping around as much as a standard D-ring and retainer. I haven't tried this though and was wondering others' thoughts and any particular reasons this doesn't seem to be promoted in the DIR literature that I've read to this point. What pros and cons exist as others see it?

For reference...I'm talking about a D-ring like this one:
Dive Rite Rigid D Rings discounts on sale Dive Rite

I don't think it really matters, but it's not needed, either.

Have you tried running your hand along the hose to find the dring? That's basically what I do, and it works great.

I am also trying to learn how to clip and unclip stuff as naturally as reaching for my wallet. If you use the rigid rings you still have to locate them blindly.

I have seen more experienced divers use some fingers to locate the ring and flip it into (or out of) the bolt snap while holding the gate open with the thumb. It would be great if someone could elaborate on how to do this.

The worst is to clip a bottle into (or out of) the hip ring on the dry. Speaking of bottle snap in the hip ring: what do you do with the SPG then?

As I understand it, rigid D-rings are frowned upon because they could conceivably get you stuck in a tight passage. (edit: or maybe not :))

If you use bolt snaps with a large enough "ring" (I use 1" bolt snaps) you can hook your ring finger through the ring *and* "clamp" the HP hose between ring and little finger to secure your grip on the bolt snap, making it easier to snap/unsnap *and* leaving your index finger free to feel and "stand up" the D-ring.

Hope that made sense,

Henrik

As I understand it, rigid D-rings are frowned upon because they could conceivably get you stuck in a tight passage. (edit: or maybe not :))

If you use bolt snaps with a large enough "ring" (I use 1" bolt snaps) you can hook your ring finger through the ring *and* "clamp" the HP hose between ring and little finger to secure your grip on the bolt snap, making it easier to snap/unsnap *and* leaving your index finger free to feel and "stand up" the D-ring.

Hope that made sense,

Henrik

Thanks. I have seen and tried this but it does not work in the Winter (dry gloves) and with the bottle clips.

I guess the unclipping isn't really the difficult thing. It seems to be the clipping, but perhaps its just not enough experience with it yet.

It's interesting to me that you edited your comment on getting stuck in a tight passage as that seems like a reasonable argument to me. Though it also seems improbable.

Hmm so you're suggesting securing the bolt snap with my thumb and middle finger and then searching for the D-ring with my index to flip it out. It naturally seems to want to lay flat at my side so it would pretty much always need to be flipped out to clip it. I think it would be much easier also if I was diving in warmer water where heavy cold water gloves weren't needed but with cold water gloves on the dexterity of your fingers is very limited and it seemed to me that having to simultaneously search and flip the d-ring while securing the bolt snap open was possibly simplified with not having to flip it out.

I hold the SPG clip with my middle finger and thumb, and search for the D-ring with my index finger (thumb used to work the gate; other fingers/rest of hand is wrapped around where the clip meets the hose). I use dry gloves. With practice, it gets easy. Spend some time on a few dives just unhooking and reattaching the SPG while you swim around anyway. It'll soon become natural. I see no need for a fixed ring.

I was under the impression that a welded D-ring was considered a needless entanglement hazard, as well as being uncomfortable when slinging multiple bottles.

With gate open and facing forward, reach behind the D-ring and sweep forward. Works for me regardless of which way the D-ring is facing.

Best.

One of the things a lot of people forget, is the DIR rigs were intended for no gloves, florida caves.... This doesn't mean that it can't and shouldn't be applied to cold water, but some stuff is different, which is why I fight with DIR people all the time...
Anyway, not important. DIR is good stuff for most things. I don't like rigid D-rings. Entanglement hazard, sure, certainly not going to be any worse than your pony bottle is....
You may want to dry the bent D-rings. I use these on my hips because they aren't obnoxious like the rigid ones are, and they are still easy to find with gloves on. May take some experimenting with which direction you want the bend. I like em, some don't, but they aren't an entanglement hazard since they rotate around like normal ones, and are still easier to find than normal flat ones

Its a good thing Sax brings all his DIR experience to the table again. We'd be lost without it.

To the OP, it just takes practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom