DiveMaster insurance ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been searching the topic Divemaster and it seems once you get the divemaster rating (PADI) that you have to buy insurance and pay anual dues.

Is this correct?

Do you have to buy insurance and pay annual fees even if you are not working as a divemaster and just hold the card?

Do you have the buy the insurance from PADI?

Most importantly, how much does this cost?

TIA

Mike

You need to have paid your dues and have insurance only if you work as a DM. You don't have to buy the insurance directly through PADI. There are some other insurance companies out there that can sell it to you. From what I've seen, the average annual price is about $350. From PADI's perspective, you are considered a current DM only if you have paid the dues and have insurance.

You do not need to get the Insurance unless you are acting in the capacity of a DM. There are a lot of people yout there that are not active DM's however I maintain my status as a DM by doing the required annual traing and paying my dues. If I ever decide to DM all I have to do is pay my insurance then.

The idea that you need you insurance just to maintain your active status is not right. You do need to keep you Dues current. If you are activly performing the duties of a DM then you do need to have your insurance.

Right now I am not acting as a DM so I do not have insurance however I an in the eyes of PADI an active DM. I just called PADI to verify this.

Pete

Thanks Pete

How much are the annual dues?

What does the required annual consist of?

Do you do annual training through your LDS, and what is the cost of that?

mike

perpet1 once bubbled...
You do not need to get the Insurance unless you are acting in the capacity of a DM. There are a lot of people yout there that are not active DM's however I maintain my status as a DM by doing the required annual traing and paying my dues. If I ever decide to DM all I have to do is pay my insurance then.

The idea that you need you insurance just to maintain your active status is not right. You do need to keep you Dues current. If you are activly performing the duties of a DM then you do need to have your insurance.

Right now I am not acting as a DM so I do not have insurance however I an in the eyes of PADI an active DM. I just called PADI to verify this.

Pete

WVMike once bubbled...
Thanks Pete

How much are the annual dues?

What does the required annual consist of?

Do you do annual training through your LDS, and what is the cost of that?

mike

PADI dues for DM/AI are $82.50 standard, $80.00 online, $77.50 automatic renewal.

Instructors are $149.00 standard, $147.00 online, $145.00 automatic.

There ias annual training that must be completed to maintain "active" status. Some of this training can be done online.

Your right about the training. The only time any training is required is if you let your dues laps then you need to do an annual seminar or view it on line. The online seminar is free if you ever need to do it.

IF you are just looking to advance your credentials without "going pro", you can go for the PADI Master Scuba Diver rating which is similar to Divemaster (except for the leadership training) and does not require renewal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom