big wing - good if you need to come up really fast!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski

Contributor
Reaction score
I was told my one other instructor a story abouta salesguy in his diveshop... one day he overheard a saleman selling a BC to some new diver, and syain gthat this BC has a big wing and becasue in some situation you need big wing so that you can come up to the surface fast, if needed.

...I didn't belive him, but he swears that's what he actually heard him say.

Oh yeah, and I won't protect the innocent. the shop was Central Skin divers in New York, and the saleman's name was Seth. They are now out of business with that name - Central Skindivers, but last I heard they re-opened under a different name Adventure divers, or something like that. They kinda screwed me in their own time by selling me a custom Henderson cold suit (over $500 for custom sizing), I used the suit twice, and it was too tight/small. Conviniently, they are not a Henderson dealer anymore with their new name shop, so I am left screwed.

That's why I don't support Local Dive Shops anymore.

Wow, you seem a bit upset over a suit. not afraid of a personal attack, are you? did you tell this shop in a reasonable amount of time? i cant imagine any biz would not work with you if you had. do you know why they changed their name? your insinuating that they went out of biz and reopened like some wall street bucket shop. thats a tough accusation and i'd like to know if its based in fact. it very well might not be and wrong of you to say. also, you mentioned that someone told you they once overheard someone else hear him say something. that doesnt hold much water with any mature person. they could of misheard. it happens. or perhaps this person is just not telling the truth. bottom line you threw alot of mud at a small biz and in my opinion should have given it some thought before posting. but we all know about opinions, right

VTernovski once bubbled...
That's why I don't support Local Dive Shops anymore.
If you take that stand with every type of gear seller, what are you going to do when the first online seller screws up?

Machine your own regulators? :)

weekender once bubbled...
Wow, you seem a bit upset over a suit. not afraid of a personal attack, are you? did you tell this shop in a reasonable amount of time? i cant imagine any biz would not work with you if you had. do you know why they changed their name? your insinuating that they went out of biz and reopened like some wall street bucket shop. thats a tough accusation and i'd like to know if its based in fact. it very well might not be and wrong of you to say. also, you mentioned that someone told you they once overheard someone else hear him say something. that doesnt hold much water with any mature person. they could of misheard. it happens. or perhaps this person is just not telling the truth. bottom line you threw alot of mud at a small biz and in my opinion should have given it some thought before posting. but we all know about opinions, right

What in the world are you talking about? weekender.......if you had been taken..........sounds like to me..........you would be quite upset about the situation yourself........unless you like to throw good money after bad. So your not upset over a $500 suit you can't wear?

Now, why would a business close under one name and then open under another? Sounds like their was trouble on the waterfront to me. Just making an assumption here. There are numerous reasons why someone would close and reopen under another name........and there all bad. You make many assumptions in your accusations of VTernovski being a slanderer........yes, why don't you just come out and say it. You know nothing about this situation other than what he has told you and you attack him. If your so interested in this particular situation why don't you PM the person and get more of the particulars and THEN make your own conclusions. Until then, give the guy the benefit of the doubt. This is a very negitive post yes...........because you attacked the guy that started the post. Maybe you should have given more thought before posting.............and that's my opinion

You really have to question the ethics or knowledge of a LDS that employs salesmen like Seth. This guys friend swears he heard the converstation that way so you've got to believe him. The guys a friend and says he overheard a conversation. You're telling me your not going to believe him..........right.............well, you seem to believe everything else that VTernovski wrote about or you would have not gotten so worked up in the first place. This board is not for personal attacks weekender, but when it happens there are those of us who will defend someone..........Now, go think about what your response will be before you just post..........in haste.

5615mike, thanks for defending me. But yes, apparently there was a problem with this shop; and a lot of the manuf.. dropped them, so now they are carrying a very limited number of manuf. gear. I can also assume that it is quite profitable (tax reasons) to close a shop and the re-open under a different tax id.. etc..

And, yes, I am not afraid of a personal attack. Any dive shop or dive shop owner that disrespects will in time get what they deserve.. I am not saying I am going to badmouth every shop that screws me, but they are certainly not going to see any of my hard earned money, and I am certainly not going to advertise them or their services to any of my friends and fellow divers. And with a freedom of speech in this Country I see no problems publicize my opinion (again, this is my opinion, you don't have to agree with me or believe me).

Unfortunately, that was just one incident with this particular dive shop. but I had unpleasant experiences with a lot of other shops in NY area. I am very sorry to say that so far I have not found a single dive shop that I can honesty say that yes, I will support this dive shop, they are fair, honest and provide me with a quality service that I expect and deserve.

I am not going to mention any other dive shops and name in this post. if you want more info, PM me; I am willing to give a trial period until the next of year, but if I have negative experiencing with other shops I am currently dealing with, I will be sure to compile the whole story on shops in NY area and publish it.

The only leverage that shops have at this point is to demonstrate that I can't get an air fill form the Internet... so, if I piss every single dive shop in this area, I will have to buy my own compressor... oh well. At least I am not afraid to speak what's on my mind.

im at work and was a bit bored. i dont typically get involved in these chats. i didnt mean to attack anyone. i thought his story was based on hearsay and he was accusing the shop of changing names to avoid bad biz practices. that didnt seem fair to me so i said so. if i broke some rule of the board, sorry. im a diver and was reading some post and thought id throw in my 2cents. thats it. i had no idea i would upset anyone. ill even apoligize for that. but the mkt is closed and in a few im leaving the floor and will be on my way to Path then home. i agree with you when you say i didnt put much thought into this. i didnt, nor did i in this post. but i assure you im not worked like you say. this will forgotten by the time ive reached the subway. as will you. you have a good night.

What about strapping an auto inflate life raft to your back. One pull and you're on the surface complete with cool ride.

You could sell a deluxe version with a built in decompression chamber :rolleyes:

Killing with kindness........now that's more like it weekender. You have a pleasent evening yourself. You also will be forgotten........who in the world am I talking about ..........or even to..........I forgot.

Well time to go for a ride:giggle:

ScottyK once bubbled...
What about strapping an auto inflate life raft to your back. One pull and you're on the surface complete with cool ride.

You could sell a deluxe version with a built in decompression chamber :rolleyes:

Wow.

Sounds like YOU are an "Adventure Diver"... :wink:

Personally I prefer ScottyK's rig over the BP and wings. I mean if you want to fly to the surface.......then make sure you do it right!
And like he said, you have a nice surface interval spot to administer first aid and oxygen:wacko:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom