Best time for bergs and whales?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wkrolph

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

I have never been diving in Newfoundland and am looking for some information on the best time to visit for chances of seeing and diving with both Icebergs and whales.

I am thinking end of May-mid-June but would like some opinions from people that dive the area often to come to a decision.

I am a PADI OWSI instructor with quite a few logged dives and looking for some great diving with a reputable shop. Suggestions on shops and specific areas to check out would be appreciated. I do have a wreck teaching specialty and would welcome info. on best sites to explore as well, although my interest is more in the Icebergs and seeing whales if nature allows.

In my experience, I have seen whale sharks and mantas, as well as amazing macro organisms, mostly while serving as a DM/Instructor in southern Thailand, west coast. I have been on some amazing liveaboards as well, spending relatively little cash on all my experiences, as I was working and earning. Saying that, I am looking for amazing experiences, without spending a fortune on them - perhaps I am asking for too much :wink:

Anyways, if you think you have some information to share, I would be appreciative.

Thanks so much!

Wendy:)

Thanks for your comments.

The most popular spot is the wrecks of bell Island. It is not far from St John's. The shop that "has assumed stewardship" of these wrecks is Ocean Quest. They are out of St John's as well.

As for the best time I would think is little later in the year. Most likely mid-june. The whales come in after a small fish called capelin that spawn on the shore during the highest tide in June.

If you look up Ocena Quest on Youtube there is lot of vids there from Ocean Quest. I think there may aslo be link to their site. If not it's below, just copy it into your search engine:

www.oceanquestadventures.com/

I have liked end-June for the better weather and that has previously worked well to see bergs and whales. We have a group going again this year from NB/NS, and yes indeed it is with Ocean Quest. They offer a top-notch experience with a diving package that is pretty much all-inclusive.

If you are interested in doing a dive trip package with a group, you can check out our link on Facebook;
Login | Facebook

You can PM me as well if you want more info!
Connie

Back
Top Bottom