Ft. Lauderdale Road Trip (w/pics and video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
MrXRay, Recharge, JHayes75, DeniseGG, Moondog75 and myself headed out two Saturdays ago and made the trip to Ft. Lauderdale. Our plan was to spend a few days diving Ft. Lauderdale, then wrap the trip up with a day diving in Key West. The weather kept us out of the Keys, and rearranged our schedule a bit, but we got a good bit of diving done, and had some great grub and fellowship in the process.

Conditions were not as good as what we had last year. Viz had dropped into the 40's, and there were lionfish everywhere. It may have been my imagination, but it looked like we had less tropical fish in the water with us. It was not my imagination that there was a significant lack of lobster. Everyone from charter boat captains to beach bums (even some charter captain/beach bums) lamented the total lack of lobster in the area.

Despite the lack of numbers, we were still able to put a few lobster in our bags (mostly me) :D One diver in particular (me) was a lobster-snatching tyrannosaurus. Unfortunately, we let about four of our keepers go because SOMEONE (me) couldn't measure them properly :rolleyes: Next year, someone else is in charge of the fishing regs, I'll be in charge of filling the lobster bag, what with my super-human lobstering skillz and all :wink:

The diving was great, but we also had a nice place to stay this year. The condo was much better than the all-smoking hotel we stayed in last year, with the pimps and drug-dealers testing out their amps and Mossberg pumps in the rooms next-door.

For grub, Jason made an awesome jambalaya, and an even awesome-er soup. Barry and I collaborated on a semi-homemade marinara and Italian-sausage pasta, and the ladies made chicken and beef tacos with re-fried beans and Spanish rice. Barry and I also turned Jason, Larry and Denise to the dark side with a super-dragon roll. I'm thinking they're all future sushi-lovers now :eyebrow:

Diving highlights included lots of nice eels, including a large green moray, several sleepy-time nurse sharks, including a lazy-@$$ sleeping at night and a baby, a drive-by manatee encounter, sea turtles, and the crown jewel: a seahorse.

Lots and lots and lots of stuff to tell, but I'm too lazy to type it all. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, you should see below.......

[vimeo]18605519[/vimeo]

Lauderdale/Pompano Beach Shore and Inshore Reef Dives

IMG_1539_edit.jpg

IMG_1738a.jpg

IMG_1677a.jpg

IMG_1672a.jpg

IMG_1667a1.jpg

IMG_1659a.jpg

IMG_1645a.jpg

IMG_1619a1.jpg

IMG_1557a.jpg

IMG_1693a1.jpg

IMG_1692a.jpg

IMG_1743a.jpg

IMG_1745a.jpg

Blue Heron Bridge Dives

IMG_1954a.jpg

IMG_1945a.jpg

IMG_1913a.jpg

IMG_1904a.jpg

IMG_1900a.jpg

IMG_1897a.jpg

IMG_1961a.jpg

IMG_1889a.jpg

IMG_1886a.jpg

IMG_1880a.jpg

IMG_1863a.jpg

IMG_1854a.jpg

Yes, this is a Blenny! Frikkin' HUGE!
IMG_1809a.jpg

IMG_1826a.jpg

Special thanks to XRay for sniffing this guy out. He was very well hidden.
IMG_1930a.jpg

IMG_1935a.jpg

Last edited:
Great Vid and Pics! How big was the Blenny? Your impeccable camera skills make it hard to figure out :wink:

Great time with great friends,The condo was perfect (thank you Denise GG ) . Two years in a row we did not make it to the keys but Team Recharge is all ready planning a new trip next year.Nice to have JHayes75 along ( Mr. super chef ). This is to let everyone know MrXRay, HeLand and myself are off again this weekend up to Wakulla county for our Caven Certification,we sure need it our gear got saturated from the Atlantic.

Wow! Awesome video and pics guys! I had such a great time! I needed to get away and relax as much as I needed the diving after the stresses of the past few months so Monica and I skipped some of the hard core shore diving where the men braved the wild in search for dinner and we sipped tea at the Galleria. :D

Back
Top Bottom