Long Hose Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstocum

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have what may be a silly question to some, but I've never actually seen a long hose used before so...

As I understand it, DIR practitioners use a 7' hose for their primary, which they will donate in the event of an OOA situation. I understand the purpose of the long hose, but having never personally seen a long hose used, I'm trying to mentally picture the routing of the hose. All pictures I've seen show black hoses and black suits which doesn't make it easy to view the configuration.

Does the hose go from the first stage under the right arm, across the chest, over the left shoulder, and around the neck so that the regulator is once again on the right? Also, if you have to donate your primary, do you just lift up and out for the hose to clear your neck and head?

I'd appreciate any help you can provide on how the long hose is routed and deployed.

Thanks.

The RH hose comes down the rh side of the body, is hooked under the cannister light on the rh harness waist belt, crosses up across the chest from the right hip to the left shoulder, passes from left to right around the back of the neck and round into the diver's mouth from the right.

If you need to donate and are horizontal then you don't need to dip your head, the hose will come clear, if you're a little head-up then dipping your head will help. Once your buddy is safely on your primary you can flip the hose out from under the cannister so it deploys to its full length, if necessary.

Thanks for the description. I was wondering how so much hose didn't get in the way. Do you hook the hose under the canister light to help keep the hose from being an entanglement hazard, to reduce drag, or some other reason?

Sorry for all the questions.

You hook it under the canister light to use up the length of the hose, so that all of it lies snug against your body.

HERE is a page with some photographs that might help.

In the event of a need to donate, you simply grasp the regulator hose near the second stage, dip your head forward, and slide the hose off. It's amazingly fast and easy, once you learn the technique. HERE's a video of it, although Faisal pushes the reg hose a little back and left, which you don't need to do (and which will get you into trouble when you have a manifold, because the hose can catch on the isolator knob. I know this because it was one of my bad habits).

TSandM - Thank you very much for the link to the website and video. I now understand both the routing and deployment of the long hose. The way the regulator is perfectly positioned when deployed is amazing. Again, thank you.

It's a really nice setup. I love the tidiness of it all. And everything works.

Sorry if this is a unnesessary addition, but I felt compelled.

The long hose is only 1/3 of the deal. The back up regulator to be used by you should you need to donate your primary is on a bungied "necklace" worn around your neck holding it ready and available just under your chin. Now you have 2/3. The final third is training. The best configuration in the world is wortheless without proper training and practice.

Hose routing (for doubles, singles just comes out of one 1st stage instead) here:
FKD - Doubles Regulator Config

With colored hoses and everything to avoid the whole black on black photo problems.

The way the regulator is perfectly positioned when deployed is amazing.

Yes, that's exactly what I thought about the long hose the first time I saw the system. Now I dive it and love it :)!

I think you'll find the back-up on a bungee is perhaps even more perfectly positioned. If you ever need it -- just reach down and it's right there :).

If you don't have a can light, you can just tuck the loop of hose down your waist strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom