Diver Initials on Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireInMyBones

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have seen pictures of GUE and UTD divers with what appear to be their initials on the bottom side of their back gas. It seems to consist, I would think of their first, middle, and last initials. No where in my readings have I found that this is a standard.
In trying to mark my tanks in a similar fashion, but not wanting to over-mark my tanks or meet up somewhere only to find someone else is using the same letters, is there a list somewhere to "register" my initials or should I just wing it?

Same thing for fins, etc...

There is a registry. It's $20 per set of doubles, $10 for each deco/stage bottle. You can send me the PayPal funds and I'll add your cylinders.

Just put your name on your stuff so it doesn't get lost. If your buddy doesn't know who you are without looking at your backgas, you're both wrong.

There is a registry... the entire point is so you grab your stuff instead of some other guy's stuff. I try to label my stages with my last name, and I'll write my first name on regs and such with a sharpie. Send Rainer the cash so he can add you to the Master Roster.

fLsbS.jpg

there's no standard for this, dude
I put my last name. I wrote it in sharpie on the neck of my doubles and use stickers on stages

It can be handy underwater to be able to identify who is who, especially if you've got multiple teams diving in near-identical kit.

Similarly, it's nice to be able to identify an individual in a video or photo, especially if you want to wind them up after the dive about some faux pas or other that's been caught on camera. They can't claim it was someone else! :D

Plus, if everyone has the same set of doubles with identical cylinders, manifolds and bands it is helpful to make sure you head home at the end of the day with your set and not somebody else's.

These folk make really good custom ones;

DiveSigns.com: Reflective hard wearing vinyl stickers for all your diving needs..., Be Seen When It Counts

In all seriousness, I think last name is much better than initials, anyway. On small things like regs, initials are probably fine (esp since they're typically attached to a cylinder...with your last name on it).

MCH? Who's that? MC Hammer?

I'll second the quality of the DiveSigns stickers. Not only do they adhere really well, but they glow when HID lights hit them!

In all seriousness, I think last name is much better than initials, anyway. On small things like regs, initials are probably fine (esp since they're typically attached to a cylinder...with your last name on it).

MCH? Who's that? MC Hammer?

But I have a common last name and a common first name (seriously, I know more Mikes in the diving world then outside of it).

I've seen a lot of inconsistency with this, there are no standards that I know of :).

Often divers have their initials on one piece of equipment and a last or first name on another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom