Dahab or El Gouna in April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jghflash

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning to make my first trip to Egypt in April and am considering either Dahab or El Gouna. Both sound good and, nothing against Sharm, but I would like something a little less crowded. From what I've read, both of these would be nice.

What are the + and - for either location? Seems like more shore diving in Dahab and boat diving in El Gouna. Reefs in Dahab and possible access to some wrecks in El Gouna. What are the other big differences? Thanks folks!

El Gouna for sure mostly boat diving, Dahab mostly shore. I haven't been to El Gouna for a few years but when I was there I got the impression they were trying to start a new Sharm - it's just hotels and bars and the rest but I enjoyed my time there as a holidaymaker. For wrecks - more are accessible from Sharm, El Gouna or Hurghada rather than Dahab.

I prefer the diving in Sharm, but I like Dahab as a place. There is some good diving there but it's a cool place to be. Somebody with more recent experience of El gouna can update you there I hope, but I certainly enjoyed my diving there.

Hope that helps a little bit

Cheers

C.

I'm off to El Gouna in Feb - I'll let you know my findings!
I've been to sharm many times and have had it with the long queues for the boats and the hassle in the streets at night to 'come try'

Hoping El Gouna is a bit more relaxed and easier to get on boats. Also appears the wrecks are easier to get to / more of them around there too.

All diving in El Gouna is boat diving. It's a good access point to the wreck of Abu Nuhas.

All local diving in Dahab is shore diving. It's a good access point to Ras Abu Galoum and Gabr El Bint via daily boats and/or camel dive safaris. Also a daily trip to Sharm to do Tiran, Ras Mohamed and/or Thistlegorm is doable.

El Gouna is much much smaller than Dahab, with only 2 handful of dive centers and boats, it is also more quiet and very clean. This is like one huge holiday compound from the same drawing-board, stayed at the Sheraton with their own pier and liked it very much to get from my room to the boat in 3 minutes. That said the boats would leave around 9:00 and return after 16:00 a long day out.

Dahab is more lively and more convenient if you have non-divers in your group. Here I stayed at the Happy Life Village and some of the guests would do 2 dives in the morning at the house reef and nearby shore.

Although the dive sites from El Gouna are great and going in from the boat is convenient I would not return as I took a liking to the more authentic desert atmosphere. El Quseir and further South will be high on my list this year.

Happy diving.

I live and work in Dahab, i can tell you why the people come to dive in Dahab and then the back again .
Usually we dive in small groups, 4 to 6 people so the organization of the day is easy, all the place were we dove are really good place also for chill-out and for families, we have 2 national park ( as previusly said Gabr el Bint and Ras Abu Gallum), we have a nice camel diving safari, nice diving, but also a nice cultural experience, and than we have amaizing tek dive spots.
About the normal dives, to be honest they are not stunning, but is the way you dive it that makes those dives specials

Back
Top Bottom