Dive Report - Lunaticos / Shale Escapade BAUE Tech Charter 16 Jan 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben_ca

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
First Tech boat dive after Tech 1 class...

Very foggy on the drive down and getting a Tech dive in was questionable due to the fog. We cast off anyway and motored down the coast... We were expecting to do a normal rec dive since the fog would have prevented a live boat but we were pleasantly surprised when it cleared up and Jim brought us to Lunaticos.

http://www.baue.org/monterey_maps/index.php?site_name=lunaticos

The site is a series of pinnacles... topping out at 100/90 with the sand around 200. We dropped in with a bit of a kick to the ball.... caught our breaths and then hit it. shot line was exactly where Capt Jim said it would be in between the 2 large peaks. After dropping for 4 mins we followed to the West wall and kicked down to 150. The vis was amazing. You could see this huge canyon and both peaks and another peak toward the end. Details were clear even though some of the structure was around 200 ft deep... the stunning geography of it all was awesome to behold. Rob showed us some boot sponges and also found a deep swim thru that might be worth revisiting next time around. I was very happy kicking thru the canyon and hanging there admiring how huge these pinacles were.

To my friends who I have shared the Sisters with... I'm truly sorry. The 3 Sisters has lost it's luster after I have seen how gorgeous the topography is at this site. The Sisters cannot compare to how grand the structures are on the off shore pinnacles like these.... Take the sisters and X 10! The dive made the Tech 1 class so worthwhile. I wish we had a camera but then again sometimes it's just great to sit back and enjoy the moment :)

Sorry I usually have a lot more pics when I file reports but since I'm new to this T1 stuff I'm taking it easy and no camera for a bit (no scooter either for that matter)

Ben

I think I see the sun

Recovering Nick and Matt

Matt

(added)

Second dive was at Shale Annex. Every other boat in Monterey was at Ball Buster/Aumentos and we really we're that hard up after the amazing dive we just did so we retreated back to the Shale. We dove the same site last week on the rec boat and Allison had a write up on CWK http://coldwaterkitty.blogspot.com/2011/01/magnus-test-drive.html This time it was just a nice and mellow dive looking at small critters and a slow ascent thru the muck... (Ted did say too slow of an ascent..)

Last edited:
Yeah, the deeper stuff in Monterey rocks, doesn't it? My dive on Ed's Wall, and my scooter trip out to Twin Peaks with Kevin, are the two best dives I've done down there. Monterey makes a tech cert (and a scooter) well worth while!

Congrats on your class, BTW!

Thanks Lynne,
One thing about Monterey... there is so much to explore. The dives we do out of Lobos just scratch the surface so to speak. The topography on these sites are mind boggling with stunning drop-offs and amazing creatures to gawk at. This dive was awesome and hopefully just a taste of what's waiting for us the next time we go out on an "Escapade" :)

Thanks for the report :) Glad you and Ted are finally getting to enjoy the rewards for your hard work to get those Tech 1 certs.

The dives we do out of Lobos just scratch the surface so to speak. The topography on these sites are mind boggling with stunning drop-offs and amazing creatures to gawk at.
We have tons of great topography throughout California. I haven't seen the deeper stuff in Monterey, but please, don't forget to once in a while dive with us tight walleted lowly recreational shore divers and our once stunning recreational dive sites. Like Lobos, and Gerstle Cove that has 60' walls where you feel like you are dropping into a narrow alley between two buildings, with Metridiums brightening the walls.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom